Black fur looking stuff on plants

1. kinhuskie Initiate Member

Hi everyone,i need a bit of info,my plants have started to get what i can only describe as Black fur/fluff around the outside of the leaves.does anyone know what this is? and what causes it?and what can i do to sort it out?
    many thanks.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Black beard algae. Ahhhh the memories..... NOT XD Its caused by a nutrient imbalance of some sort. CO2, maybe? I've heard that squirting some peroxide softens it up, and the fish can then eat it. I got rid of it by moving out all my fish to temporary tanks, and bleaching the crud out of the tank, decor and filter, and starting the tank new, with filter media from another tank. Stuffs a pain in the butt!

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup BBA, you can spot treat with peroxide or excel, either way it shows a lack of co2 in the tank. Its a pain but can be managed and eventually if well dealt with eradicated.

4. kinhuskie Initiate Member

okay im going to use Co2,but wont this make my Ph drop?if so how do i keep the PH up without using chemicals?

5. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Your tank is large enough for my suggestion. You could do what I did... Buy a Siamensis Algae Eater. Do your research on these fish but they're peaceful community fish. They're one of the very few fish that will eat BBA.

If you do decide to go this route, don't be fooled by impersonators like the Chinese Algae Eater or the Flying Fox. Both will eat BBA... initially but turn very aggressive and WILL go after other fish.

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

On my cell, so if already answered, sorry.

What type of lighting? How many hours on? What is the color spectrum?

What ferts are used? How much and how often dosed? CO2?

What are your current parameters?

How bad is the algae? On one plant? On hardscape? On glass?

Water circulation. Do you have a power head or just your filter?

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

And another vote for Black Beard Algae.

And by all reports, unstable CO2 levels is the primary cause (along with nitrate and phosphates) - I'm battling it at the moment.

The following reference might help you tell for sure, but pretty certain it'll be BBA.
    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com.au/

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Doses of Flourish excel got rid of mine :)
    Carol

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I respectfully disagree that phosphates are a cause of algae. There have been many studies that have disproved this belief. Further, I have too much PO4 in my tap water so my tanks are almost always over 10PPM PO4. And I do not have an over abundance of BBA or any other form of algae.

It has been my experience that BBA is caused by low or unstable CO2; by overdosing or using unbalanced ferts; by using too low color spectrum of lighting; by having old tubes that should be replaced; by leaving the lights on too many hours; even having insufficient circulation (my current problem with my jungle). Because of all the possible causes I always ask the questions about lighting, ferts, CO2 and circulation.

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hmmm, interesting Dena. Happy to accept 'defeat' on the phosphate aspect :pokey:

On the light aspect, and BBA specifically (without hijacking the thread).... I always thought, and have read many experiences, that BBA is not particularly light dependant. Hence why many have difficulty erradicating it with the 'black-out' method. Dunno, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong algae, but that was my understanding :;sh

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

While it is true that BBA cannot be stopped with a blackout, it is affected by light. BBA is the clue that the color temp my lights output is changing; and they need replacing. I also have issues with BBA when my tank becomes too overgrown and the water current is restricted. Both of which are happening now n my high tech tank!

12. MatildaLjungberg Member Member

I know Nerite snails will eat that type of algae but I'm not sure if the fish in your tank will like the snails or not! They might think they're nummy. ;)