Black Fungus/Mold on Driftwood

jaydivingboard

There is unsightly black mold/fungus growing on my driftwood piece in my 55, it is over a year old and I suspect this is normal after its been in the water for so long, I just wanna know the best way to clean it off, it doesn't seem to come off with scrubbing, should I try boiling it off?

StarGirl

You could try it. What are you scrubbing it with?

Upvote 0

Fae

Scrubbing will almost never work for mold because it just spreads the spores, they're invisible

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Could you spray it with Peroxide? Would that kill it?

Upvote 0

jaydivingboard

You could try it. What are you scrubbing it with?
Algae scrub but it hasn't worked at all
Scrubbing will almost never work for mold because it just spreads the spores, they're invisible
That makes sense, I will try boiling it

Could you spray it with Peroxide? Would that kill it?
I had not thought of using Peroxide but i suppose I could give it a try, spray peroxide, scrub, then boil and rinse after to make sure no peroxide resides

Upvote 0

Fae

I had not thought of using Peroxide but i suppose I could give it a try, spray peroxide, scrub, then boil and rinse after to make sure no peroxide resides
Peroxide won't leave a residue! It's literally just water (h2o) with an extra oxygen molecule (h2o2) which is very unstable, so when it's exposed to light or disturbed the extra oxygen molecule releases, leaving pure water behind and the oxygen evaporates
It is a very violent process, but a simple rinse will get it off

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
Rebsfish