Black fin tetra Fatty

Rickthebaby
HI all. I'm new to fish lore. I have two black skirt tetras along with other small fish (mostly cories and plecos/other tetras) and one angel named Pretty. Their names are howlin' mad murdock and hannibal. Their fins change color from grey to pitch black when they are stressed or the water is not up to par, which their way of saying, "dad its dirty in here!!!!" Hannibals fins changed color recently and I noticed the fish was getting fat fast and it worried me. Reading around here I noticed that people said that hannibal being fat is either pregnancy or disease, but I keep the water very clean and just tested it 10 minutes ago, and the water is completely clean. So now I don't know what to do, since now we might have to change hannibals name to something more feminine. Jk, I need help concerning things to do if hannibal is pregnant, or if hannibal really is sick, what to do then. Thanks

Advertisement
jessakitten
welcome to fishlore!

what test kit are you using? tank size etc?

any pic of the fish in question?

and if Hannibal is a girl, Hannibelle. LOL

Advertisement
Rickthebaby

image.png

image.png

That's her. I have a 20 gallon long and I use the API freshwater test kit. If she does have eggs she will need to be quarantined as the other little guys and Pretty will definitely eat them. Pretty is the biggest offender, I call him the Truant Officer since he tries to eat juveniles that don't stay with the pack. I have a tank divider that could be used for this.

Rickthebaby
Hannibelle sounds nice lol. Here are some better photos:

image.png

image.png

As you can see, she has changed back to a darker black since this morning. This leads me to believe shes not sick, as well as the fact that shes not laying around or hiding waiting to die.

hacksgirls
Maybe toss a shelled pea in there for her to nibble on. If she's bloated, this will help. I use froze green peas and let them thaw out in tank water. If you gently squeeze them the shell pops right off.

Rickthebaby
Well I'm not sure if shes bloated or not. I want to see if someone who has experience with pregnant tetras can tell me if hannibal (hannibelle) is pregnant or bloated/diseased. But if she is, I will be sure to try the pea method. Thanks

jessakitten
she looks like she has eggs to me. she will need to lay the eggs and then a male needs to come behind her and fertilize the eggs once the eggs are dropped in the tank. then you have to remove the parents and other fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
flyinGourami
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
EpictheHamster
Replies
Views