Black edges on amazon sword?

gabray47

I just added some amazon sword to my aquarium, and today I noticed these black edges. Is this some kind of algae?

Attachments

• Black edges_20220818_173443(0).jpg
    Black edges_20220818_173443(0).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7

GlennO

The pic is not very clear but it's likely black beard algae which is attracted to the edges of stressed plant leaves. Your new sword should soon start growing new healthy leaves if conditions are good. Cut off any affected or yellow leaves.

gabray47

The pic is not very clear but it's likely black beard algae which is attracted to the edges of stressed plant leaves. Your new sword should soon start growing new healthy leaves if conditions are good. Cut off any affected or yellow leaves.
Okay. When you say "conditions are good," is there anything in particular with nutrients I should look for? I think I over did it with the Easy Green, which I have a tendency to do when I add new plants. I'll do some testing for macros and micros and see where I'm at, as well as cut away the leaves that are affected right now. Thanks very much.

GlennO

Okay. When you say "conditions are good," is there anything in particular with nutrients I should look for? I think I over did it with the Easy Green, which I have a tendency to do when I add new plants. I'll do some testing for macros and micros and see where I'm at, as well as cut away the leaves that are affected right now. Thanks very much.
By good conditions I just mean enough light and nutrients. It's not difficult for swords which don't need high light. They do benefit a bit from root tabs if they are not in a nutrient rich substrate.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gabray47
Replies
Views
sunflower430
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies