Black Diamond Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bag has a line through 2 boxes. The numbers are 16/30 and 12/40. Is this grit sand okay for Cory Cats or no?

Last edited:

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe that means it's a mix of the two sizes.. Mine was the same way, should be fine. Just rinse it really good.. My corys are fine in it.. everybody else says the same thing..

OP
spike98

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering if anyone has a cheap but nice looking black sand that is also okay for the Cory's I am getting? So far I was looking at Black Diamond Blasting Sand (BDBS) as its cheap but the store that carries it near me has it marked in two boxes on the bag which are 16/30 and 12/40. I don't know if this would be okay for my Cory's?

Okay, I thought it meant grit as many refer to 20/40 as medium?

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the grit.. but it's a combination of the two sizes. My had the same line through both boxes and my cory's don't have any issues with it.

OP
spike98

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, thanks I thought you meant similar situation but maybe different numbers. Can never take too many precautions with your fish.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is fine grit. Should be ok. I am using the 20/40 medium grit and there is now issues with the Cory’s.

Just have to be more careful that your filter doesn’t suck up the finer stuff.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've not heard of issues with bdbs and Cory's. What problems are you having?
Also, the blasting sand is heavy and stays on the bottom pretty well.

It’s all hear say and I haven’t seen any proof but I have read about people saying the bdbs was to sharp for there belly and barbs.

How fine is yours actually. Around here the fine bdbs is very fine like sugar.

xloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree, what i just put in myntank for the cories is very fine, definitely comparable to white sugar. I bought it at Menards, and I'm not sure if everyone's is like this but mine definitely has a gold tint to it, not pure black. I hadn't heard that before and was a little surprised to see.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
665D84EB-A0F9-4014-B2C0-FC0CE75EAB5D.jpeg The gold tint is the same here as well in the fine stuff but it seems to depend on the lot. Some bags are worse than others.

The medium isn’t completely black either. It has bigger chunks of brownish goldish pieces.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bag has a line through 2 boxes. The numbers are 16/30 and 12/40. Is this grit sand okay for Cory Cats or no?

I reread everything and apologize for the confusion. The sand you have is more coarse. Most people buy the 20/40. It is kinda in the middle. 10/40 would be the most coarse and 40/80 is the finest.

It’s hard to tell when they mark the bags because when they check the box with the actual grit they swipe all the other boxes behind it.

Attachments

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at the picture above which is 20/40 grit if you rotate the picture 90 degrees counter clockwise you can see what I mean about the check.

Here is a page that should help clear up the grit sizes. It should be a stickie somewhere to help everyone with the bdbs. Lol

OP
spike98

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks I'll have to stop by the tractor supply and see if the mark reaches the 20/40. If it isn't at 20/40 but just one to the left or right of it, should I try somewhere else for 20 /40 or do you think it won't cause any issues?I've heard of people having issues with their Cory's in it but at the same time I've heard of many people having several tanks with BDBS and no issues at all.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tractor supply only sells the medium and fine I believe. My bag had a straight line through 20/40 and 16/30.. originally assumed it was a blend, but now believe sloppy markings from BDBS and it was just 20/40. It still took a lot of rinsing to get all the dust out. I didn't even get it all... somebody else on here used a mesh screen to 'sift' it, said it worked really well.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Texasguppy is right about tractor supply only selling medium and fine but one TSC here actually did have coarse for some reason.

I’d stick to the 20/40.That seems to be the safest bet. If your unsure about the grit size because of the marking just have them scan it and it’ll tell you the actual grit.

OP
spike98

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I was going to ask as an extra precaution. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 88 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.0%

Top Bottom