Black Diamond Fine??

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use it in my 29 gallon and I think it looks good but not always completely black. I haven't had any issues with it and I heard it's bottom feeder safe. It can be a pain to clean if you want to make sure its just the sand that stays settled at the bottom.
There's many cleaning methods and yours is one but I would occasionally stir the sand to help remove floating sand that's buried.
I have my substrate 1.5 inches and left me with about 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket. So depending on your preferred substrate height 2 bags would be a safe bet if you want a higher substrate. I don't think tractor supply carries anything other than 20/40 grit but make sure that's the grit you get. Here's a link to a decent Substrate Calculator

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-fine-blasting-abrasives

Has anyone used this specifically? Any issues? How did you clean it? Is one bag large enough for a 55?

I usually put about 10 lbs in a bucket and let it overflow with water until it runs clear. Is this a good process for this sand?
I use BDBS in all my tanks. My Tractor Supply carries medium grit (20/40, which is what I use; heavy enough to not blow around) and fine grit (don't remember the numbers). Most people prefer the medium over fine it seems.

Here's some pictures of my tanks for reference.

20 Gallon Long Betta Centered Community (Does include corys)
IMG_20180425_181627424_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180423_142451573_HDR.jpg

10 Gallon Crayfish Tank
IMG_20180425_205845057_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180403_134421144_HDR.jpg

New 40 Gallon Breeder
IMG_20180511_003045020_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180511_200952768_HDR.jpg

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have the Med-coarse grit in two aquariums 150 and 44 gallon. and a finer grit (the bag was miss-marked) in the guppy aquarium. I like the coarser one better. The finer grit still does not dust up but when the 37 gallon guppy aquarium cracked last weekend I noticed a smell that suggests that anaerobic bacteria setup shop, and it was under 3" deep. It does not dust up at all even with 700 GPH filtration.

If I clean it at all it is a quick swish in a five gallon bucket. But I have a high level of filtration and the water is crystal in an hour.

1. An assassin in the guppy aquarium with the finer grit.
_MG_8011-Edit.0.jpg

2. From the 150 with med-coarse grit.
_MG_8076-Edit.0.jpg

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use it in my 29 gallon and I think it looks good but not always completely black. I haven't had any issues with it and I heard it's bottom feeder safe. It can be a pain to clean if you want to make sure its just the sand that stays settled at the bottom.
There's many cleaning methods and yours is one but I would occasionally stir the sand to help remove floating sand that's buried.
I have my substrate 1.5 inches and left me with about 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket. So depending on your preferred substrate height 2 bags would be a safe bet if you want a higher substrate. I don't think tractor supply carries anything other than 20/40 grit but make sure that's the grit you get. Here's a link to a decent Substrate Calculator
Mine comes in bags, I didn't look at the actual poundage when I was there. I believe the rule of thumb is 1 lbs of substrate for every gallon? I don't have a clue where I heard this from but it seems to work.

I use BDBS in all my tanks. My Tractor Supply carries medium grit (20/40, which is what I use; heavy enough to not blow around) and fine grit (don't remember the numbers). Most people prefer the medium over fine it seems.

Here's some pictures of my tanks for reference.

20 Gallon Long Betta Centered Community (Does include corys)
View attachment 437492
View attachment 437497
10 Gallon Crayfish Tank
View attachment 437493
View attachment 437496
New 40 Gallon Breeder
View attachment 437494 View attachment 437495
Wow! Thank you for the photos. Do the cories seem to be fine on it? This tank will have a schoal of peppers and a bn pleco.

We have the Med-coarse grit in two aquariums 150 and 44 gallon. and a finer grit (the bag was miss-marked) in the guppy aquarium.I like the coarser one better. The fined grit still does not dust up but when the 37 gallon guppy aquarium cracked last weekend I noticed a smell that suggests that anaerobic bacteria setup shop, and it was under 3" deep. It does not dust up at all even with 700 GPH filtration.

If I clean it at all it is a quick swish in a five gallon bucket. But I have aa high level of filtration and the water is crystal in an hour.

1. An assassin in the guppy aquarium with the finer grit.
View attachment 437505

2. From the 150 with med-coarse grit.
View attachment 437506
So from the results. Get the medium not the fine grit. Thank you for your photos too! I can't get loaches in my area but s/he looks stunning against the black.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, the med-course grit is better in my opinion.

I had looked for the stripped squiggles (our name for them) for years and finally a local fish store started getting them. There are nine in the 150

EDIT: The corys do fine with it. We have pandas, leopards, greens, Julli, and albino.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My 54g took 2 bags. I have pandas and julli on it and they do well. Mine had quite a bit of dust in it and I washed it in 5g buckets which got most of the finer dust out. Somebody else here used a fine wire mesh I believe from HomeDepot and said it got really clean and was easy. In the bucket, I had to keep stirring it with my hand.

ummmmmfish

Reaction score
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-fine-blasting-abrasives

Has anyone used this specifically? Any issues? How did you clean it? Is one bag large enough for a 55?

I usually put about 10 lbs in a bucket and let it overflow with water until it runs clear. Is this a good process for this sand?
Where are you located? I’m in Georgia and have a bag and a half of this stuff just sitting in my garage. I used it for one tank but it killed my filter so I am not putting it in my other tank lol I’d like to get rid of it but I’m not going to ship it.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Where are you located? I’m in Georgia and have a bag and a half of this stuff just sitting in my garage. I used it for one tank but it killed my filter so I am not putting it in my other tank lol I’d like to get rid of it but I’m not going to ship it.
All the way in Michigan Thanks for the help though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom