Black Diamond Blasting Sand And Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by cnstowers, Apr 19, 2017.

1. cnstowers

cnstowers Valued Member Member

Hello! I recently changed my substrate from gravel to the Black Diamond Blasting Sand and am now getting much lower pH readings than before. My pH out of the tap is 7.6, I keep crushed coral in the filter so the pH maintains at 7.6, 2 nights ago my pH tested at close to 6.0, I put in a fresh bag of crushed coral and now it is hovering around 6.8 I believe. 6.8 is fine for the species I have but I just wanted to know if anyone else had any knowledge on if the sand was making my pH fluctuate or if it may be something else. Thanks!

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I have read that blasting sand AKA coal slag can contain Silicon dioxide, Iron oxide, Aluminum oxide, Calcium oxide, Magnesium oxide, and Potassium Oxide. Those trace elements could be what is messing with your PH. Could always take some out and do a test with some water in a cup vs the same water in a cup with some sand - see if it alters the PH? Just an idea but I hope this helps!

3. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I have BDBS and haven't seen a drop in ph. It could vary some from lot to lot as far as composition.

4. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

Okay here is my hypothesis; When I replaced the gravel that contained loads of BB and replaced it with sand that had absolutely no BB, I started another cycle, that cycle led to a bacteria bloom which has used up all of the oxygen in my water which has made my pH decline drastically... Plus my fish are having to come up for water frequently (which I have fixed by adding 4 EXTRA air stones)
    Anything sound incorrect or am I probably right on track with my thinking?
    459ba82b99b8ae89bb140fee3fc64b7b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

95% of the BB lives in your filter media.

6. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Valued Member Member

I have BDBS also, the only thing I've noticed is when you use the magnets to clean your glass some of the contents of the blasting sand sticks to the magnet.

7. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I too have BDBS and had no drop in PH . there are other reasons for a drop in PH. Have you recently added any driftwood or Co2?

8. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

I have not added driftwood recently and I dose liquid co2 daily and have for months with pH staying at 7.6

9. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

Nothing at all has changed other than the substrate

10. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Curious . have you recently tested the tap?
    Has the GH or KH changed

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I have BDBS and I've seen no drop in pH. I would assume you have a low to non-existent KH. Do you know what those levels are in your tank and tap? When did you start adding coral and how much of it do you have? Maybe it's time to add more.

12. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

Nothing out of the tap has changed, still comes out at 7.6, I have an entire media bag of crushed coral in my filter which I've had in there for 4 months and it has kept the pH at 7.6 constantly with no fluctuations

13. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Again, could be time to add more. You'd still want to monitor the KH as well as you want it at least 5dKH to hold your pH steady in the tank.

14. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would get a gh/kH testing kit, if you have one already test both your tap and your tank and see what the difference is. This will at least give you a starting point as to why your pH crashed. (My dkh was 4 before the crushed coral)

You may indeed need to re-cycle your tank with a pH of 6.0. I lost my cycle and once the crushed coral took hold, my pH upped and my cycle took 7 days to recover. So be aware of that also.

I have bdbs that I didn't start using until AFTER my pH crashed. I've not had a single pH fluctuation because of it. And I am very very paranoid about it dropping so have been testing it more often than I probably should.

15. MHansen12

MHansen12 Valued Member Member

Hi, I recently bought Black Diamond Blasting sand for my fish tank. Since I haven't notice and it PH differences? What is the brand of your sand? Hopefully not Quikrete

16. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

Update: decided to just monitor the tank and wait for any changes seeing as my fish didn't seem stressed other than the low oxygen before I fixed that.
    As of today the tank has started clearing up, pH is (slowly) but steadily rising up and the fish are still seemingly fine.

17. OP
    OP
    cnstowers

Everything is back to normal now, water is clear, pH has returned to normal level (for my tank at least) and I am now only facing one problem, my Amazon swords have taken a beating Im assuming from the crash in pH. Once I get them thriving again all will be well, thanks everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice