Black Decay Of Tail Area. Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by sunfish2002, Apr 20, 2019.

1. sunfish2002New MemberMember

About 2 months ago I had my fish quarantined for internal parasites which have since been cured. While moving the fish around it jumped out of my hand and hit the radiator somehow damaging both sides of its tail. Since then it hasn't healed and has turned black. I thought this was maybe an ammonia burn because the quarantine tank had no beneficial bacteria but idk it seems to very slowly be getting worse (maybe hard to tell). Yesterday I put in some melafix but I really dont know what this is. Any help is appreciated thanks.
    upload_2019-4-20_11-5-17.png

Attached Files:

2. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Use melafix and do a water change

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

1. They already used melafix
    2. Melafix is likely too weak to fix this

OP, this is a bit out of my experience zone, so I'm going to call some others in. Can you please list:
    Tank size
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Temperature
    Any tank mates
    @Skavatar @DoubleDutch

4. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I’m not an expert on this as shown before but how is its swimming

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Oh yeah, that's another good question I forgot

6. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Bruising usually heals with good water quality alone.

7. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i'm not too sure about bruising on fish. but for humans, it takes about 2 weeks to clear up. starts red and swollen, then blue/purple/black, then a green, and finally yellow.

hard to tell from the pic, but if it lost scales, then there could be a possibility of infection.

if he's acting normal, then like the other have said, do water changes, and provide good water quality, and it will heal on its own.

8. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Bruising on a female Boeseman's Rainbow that jumped out of the tank onto the floor and was trodden on by me took four days to heal completely. The whole fish became shockingly black with the bruising.

Initially it was only able to twitch on the surface, but withIn ten days it was able to feed again and it eventually became my largest female and outlasted the rest of the shoal.

Glad I didn't throw the "smushed" body in the bin!

Not representative of all fish but I thought it worth telling the story. Fish can be amazing. Now long gone, here is her picture.

Boesemans Rainbow Melanotaenia boesemani Steve Joul 29.01 (5) - Copy.JPG