Black Convict Habitat?

J. MacGregor
well I went and bought 4 black convicts (kind of stupid of me considering the fact that I know nothing about them!). now I'm left wondering what do I do now! what kind of habitat do they like? do they prefer rocks or plants? how do they breed (eggs? live bearer? do they carry their young in their mouth?)? How can I tell if they are male or female?

A201
Being Central American cichlids, Convicts do well in hard water with an elevated PH, 7.8 - 8.3. Small grain gravel and rocks provide a good environment for Convicts. You can even use Limestone rocks.
The females develope a good sized red spot on each side of the body. Males grow larger and in some cases grow a small nuchal hump. They are prolific breeders and will vigorously defend their nest. No mouth brooding. I've had nesting Convicts bite my hands during water changes.

david1978
I had tall decor and fake plants with mine till they started breeding out of control. Then I stripped the tank and it still didn't slow them down. But yes egg layers that protect their young. I bet they would take down any fish that got too close.

bentaz
I know convicts are ment to be very hardy and can live in almost any conditions, but surviving and being happy are two different things really.
I have in the past (10 years agoand several 1000 km away) breed and kept quite a few cichlids from both sides of the world, but I've not kept convict before. What is the bottom temp range that they will be happy and breed at?
I'm asking coz my next tank will be convicts and I'm wondering How they'd go outside over summer? I live in the southern states of australia

J. MacGregor
bentaz said:
I know convicts are ment to be very hardy and can live in almost any conditions, but surviving and being happy are two different things really.
I have in the past (10 years agoand several 1000 km away) breed and kept quite a few cichlids from both sides of the world, but I've not kept convict before. What is the bottom temp range that they will be happy and breed at?
I'm asking coz my next tank will be convicts and I'm wondering How they'd go outside over summer? I live in the southern states of australia
Well my tank is at 81-82 deg F. and I have already had 2 batches of eggs. (first one had no results and the second is still being baby sat by mom and dad.) Not sure what my other tank peramiters are as my kids broke all my test tubes for my API master kit!

Latest threads

Top Bottom