Black Common Goldfish

Gourami36

I have a pond in my backyard that was built by the previous owner. Some of the goldfish are black like a black moor but they are definitely common goldfish. Is it a normal color? There are also white, orange and yellow goldfish. There were never any fancy goldfish added to the pond.

BusterBot28

I have a pond in my backyard that was built by the previous owner. Some of the goldfish are black like a black moor but they are definitely common goldfish. Is it a normal color? There are also white, orange and yellow goldfish. There were never any fancy goldfish added to the pond.
Could you post pics? They sound really cool! Sorry I don’t know much about goldfish so can’t help. ☹️

Gourami36

Could you post pics? They sound really cool! Sorry I don’t know much about goldfish so can’t help. ☹️
I can’t post pictures because they are black so they blend into the background and my camera is horrible. The goldfish are also very fast.

Smalltownfishfriend

How old are they? I have a few black Commons but they usually turn orange or red after a couple years!!

Gourami36

How old are they? I have a few black Commons but they usually turn orange or red after a couple years!!
I don’t know how old they are. I didn’t buy them.

ETNsilverstar

I had a black common as a kid. Eventually it turned orange & white and grew a super long tail fin. Some will keep their black forever, but most will lose it. Totally normal either way though.

Gourami36

I had a black common as a kid. Eventually it turned orange & white and grew a super long tail fin. Some will keep their black forever, but most will lose it. Totally normal either way though.
There are probably around 30 black goldfish in the pond and all of them are still black. The pond is about 1000 gallons. It’s probably a genetic thing?

Jimothy K

Yeah I would say genetics caused that. I had some black commons once. All but one stayed that way after I have them to a friend with a koi pond

ETNsilverstar

There are probably around 30 black goldfish in the pond and all of them are still black. The pond is about 1000 gallons. It’s probably a genetic thing?

I'd say that's most likely.

aussieJJDude

Wild type goldies do look black, but in fact more of a silvery bronze. Black common goldfish are more likely to be cross bred with koi, which you can normally tell as they still have the distinguished barbels around the mouth like koi.

Gourami36

Wild type goldies do look black, but in fact more of a silvery bronze. Black common goldfish are more likely to be cross bred with koi, which you can normally tell as they still have the distinguished barbels around the mouth like koi.
They don’t look silver or bronze at all and there were never koi in the pond so I’m not sure

goldface

If they're big, they're probably Koimets, which are koi/goldfish hybrids. Sometimes they're referred to as Black Comets.

Gourami36

If they're big, they're probably Koimets, which are koi/goldfish hybrids. Sometimes they're referred to as Black Comets.
They’re not that big. The largest one I have seen so far was about 6-7 inches. I don’t know how old they are

aussieJJDude

They don’t look silver or bronze at all and there were never koi in the pond so I’m not sure
Yeah. Once you take them out of water or view them side on, you'll find them to be the case. I thought the same with my once juvenile goldies, but once I saw them side on it was not the case.

Gourami36

Yeah. Once you take them out of water or view them side on, you'll find them to be the case. I thought the same with my once juvenile goldies, but once I saw them side on it was not the case.
I caught some and they looked the same as a black moor (besides that they are not fancy goldfish)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Myyyman
Replies
Views
AverageDewdrop
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
Replies
Views