Question Black Chin Livebearers

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SuperD14 said:
Just bought two male and 4 female black chin Livebearers for my 160litre planted tank.
Current stock: 6 harlequin rasboras, 4 small yo-yo loaches and 3 bn Plecos that are 2cm long.
I've got them as well for years now. I use to keep the yellow belly version as well.
But yes, some pics would be nice...

OP
SuperD14

SuperD14

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
I've got them as well for years now. I use to keep the yellow belly version as well.
But yes, some pics would be nice...
When I get home and get them in the tank I will post some pics, they’re not the yellow version. I also have two males.

bd9a5fd5630faa5ef803e355a7d11f5a.jpg

d96ed418c1f3d2b5ffc6a83868659526.jpg

bc44daa25c44500ed78b4d178a9de811.jpg

a50653cc0224985b53920f91755e38b7.jpg

Swimming with the rasboras, interesting. Hard to get good pics they’re so fast. When they’ve settled in u will try again for better photos.

The other inhabitants

de6efdb3f36916bbd54924afecc71984.jpg

5a9a21a7271de971b574263bffb040f9.jpg

2d98919c570192c3b72ed0026b1ac798.jpg

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SuperD14 said:
When I get home and get them in the tank I will post some pics, they’re not the yellow version. I also have two males.
I know that you meant that you've got the black belly. But what I meant was that I still have the black belly (what you call the black chin livebearer) but that I've kept the yellow belly version as well in the past.

OP
SuperD14

SuperD14

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
I know that you meant that you've got the black belly. But what I meant was that I still have the black belly (what you call the black chin livebearer) but that I've kept the yellow belly version as well in the past.
Yes I’m aware, I didn’t explain it well. What I meant to say is that she have the plain black chin variation and Not the black chins with a golden stomach.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Officially there are three variations. The real plain ones (neither black or yellow markings), the black belly and the yellow belly versions. The one that have a combination of black and yellow occured after crossing a yellow and black belly together. So, if yellow occurs in a batch of black bellies, one can say for certain that a one of the parents isn't a pure black belly genotypically. If this happens to yellow ones having some black belly offspring, one of the parents is also genotypically black belly. The ones with the black nose is a mutation that have occured for many years ago. So, you're also gonna see a lot of those.

They're not the most colorful fish there are but they are interesting fish to keep. Hope they'll do well and have fun with those fish..

OP
SuperD14

SuperD14

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
Officially there are three variations. The real plain ones (neither black or yellow markings), the black belly and the yellow belly versions. The one that have a combination of black and yellow occured after crossing a yellow and black belly together. So, if yellow occurs in a batch of black bellies, one can say for certain that a one of the parents isn't a pure black belly genotypically. If this happens to yellow ones having some black belly offspring, one of the parents is also genotypically black belly. The ones with the black nose is a mutation that have occured for many years ago. So, you're also gonna see a lot of those.

They're not the most colorful fish there are but they are interesting fish to keep. Hope they'll do well and have fun with those fish..
Thank you for all of that information, the ones I picked up are the babies from a customer and all of the babies were plain no markings just the males had a black chin so I would assume they will not carry that yellow trait.

New Threads