Black Brush Algae On Driftwood

D4rkAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have many black brush algae spot on my Driftwood... I saw one of my SAE nipping and eating some, should I let them go and see if they will eat it all ? I have now 4 SAE in my 35 gallons, if they can eat it all, I will only keep 2.

I have 3 young gold ancistrus, 2 amano and 2 golden algae eater.

20180214_084043.jpg

Rok55

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long have the SAE been in the tank? How long has the BBA been in the tank and is it getting larger? Pretty sure these answers will tell you whether or not the SAE are efficient. Probably not. Pull the driftwood out and treat with H202, scrub and pull of what you can, then return to tank. If puling the driftwood isn't an option you can spot treat in the tank with a spray bottle of H202.

OP
D4rkAngel

D4rkAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I already pull out the driftwood out on january 27 and scrub entirely and put it back. I bought 2 SAE the next day because the fungus was starting to grow on it again. I bought 2 SAEon feburary 15.
I think maybe a week and half when I saw that BBA was on my driftwood

I'm a bit scared of using H202 in my planted tank... Ive heard I can use Excel to treat it directly into the water with the same amount I do every day.

Some told me to just bleach it but will any algae grow on it after you bleach your driftwood like fungus because my Ancistrus really like that big driftwood.

Here a video of one of my SAE nomming BBA:

glenCOCO

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve had great success with controlling BBA with excel/metricide. I would try and remove as much as you can manually to speed up the process though

OP
D4rkAngel

D4rkAngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did manually removed many of them now, there is one place I can't reach and see at the same time.... but when I'm doing my water change, this part of the driftwood stand out of the water so maybe I spray some excel on this part and wait like 10-15 minutes before adding the water.

Maybe I could use a BBQ lighter and burn the BBA haha , I don't know if it will work o_O

New Threads