Black Beard Algae

Fishing1

Hello pretty sure I'm dealing with black beard algae. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
You could turn off the lights for a few days. How many hours of light to you give the tank? They also tend to grow in the absence of CO2, so its recommended to add liquid CO2 like easycarbo in my case. My amano shrimp ate the bba in my first tank. Do you have any plants? Do you dose the tank with any ferts or anything?

OP
F

Fishing1

Feohw said:
You could turn off the lights for a few days. How many hours of light to you give the tank? They also tend to grow in the absence of CO2, so its recommended to add liquid CO2 like easycarbo in my case. My amano shrimp ate the bba in my first tank. Do you have any plants? Do you dose the tank with any ferts or anything?
Thanks for the reply. The lights are on a little over 8 hours a day. I have no plants other than artificial so no I'm not dosing with anything

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Fishing1 said:
Thanks for the reply. The lights are on a little over 8 hours a day. I have no plants other than artificial so no I'm not dosing with anything
Then just leave the lights off for a couple days. You could even put a blanket over the tank to ensure no light gets in and the algae starves. Or if you don't mind buying something that you don't necessarily need as you don't have plants, you could get easycarbo or seachem excel to kill it. First method is easy and doesn't cost money.

johnbirg

Well Known
Fishing1 said:
Hello pretty sure I'm dealing with black beard algae. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance
johnbirg said:
This treatment works wonders with black beard algae and doesn't have any noticeable side effects on plants or fish. Highly recommended 2 week treatment and have not had any recurrence of BBA since completing the treatment.

New Threads