Black Beard Algae Problem **please Help** Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Landen Birch, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Landen BirchNew MemberMember

**Disclaimer this post is rather long, I just need lots of helps**

Also my first post ever on this site!!

Started this tank about 4 months ago with 5 black phantom tetras, 5 corydoras, 1 southern platy, 1 dwarf gourami, 5 rummynose tetras, 9 Amano Shrimp, and 1 Pleco.

Tank - 30 Gallon

Filter - Fluval 206 Canister filter

Light - Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED

1 month ago i added a Fluval Co2 kit to my tank and it worked great for a few months then the regulator broke and I stopped messing with it any further. Took it out of the tank and tried DIY for now... couldn’t get that working right so i then removed all co2. (Have read fluctuating co2 levels can cause BBA, maybe it’s this that’s causing it in my tank? If so how do i fix without adding co2)

Since then i started dosing flourish excel into the tank every couple days and my plants grew inches a day. Everything was going great. Until this week. My whole tank is covered in BBA.

Drift Wood Covered.

Anubias Covered.

Sagattaria Covered.

I read that flourish excel spot treated can actually help to get rid of the BBA. I started using a syringe to aim it directly at the plants and the wood. Nothing works so far. It’s been almost another 8 days since.

I cut back on feeding my fish as well. Once a day and barely any at all. (Not working) :(

I cut back on lighting and have turned down to 8 hours a day. Was originally at 10 hours.

If I bleach wash my plants and clean them all off will it not just come back from the same conditions being there before?
    P.s. - how do i clean the wood? Hydrogen peroxide spray? And toothbrush?
    (But still again how will it not just come back ☹️)

If I can magically manage to find SAE’s can they even clean THIS much algae???

Sorry for this being so wordy I’m awful at writing things. I appreciate ANY helpful feedback. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

2. musserump09

musserump09Well Known MemberMember

From what I have learn from planted tanks is that once your plants start to really grow CO2 isn't really necessary unless your trying to crop grow to sell. Enough growing plants in a well established tank should going through a Photosynthesis process to where you might be over loading co2. Excell is co2 in a bottle basically. This will make this type aglae thrive in my experience No expert just a thought

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I saw a thread a while back about boiling BBA and having it turn a beautiful green coloration.

I’ll try to find it, but after it turns green, most fish will eat it.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Landen BirchNew MemberMember

I’ll look into it! Thanks for the help!

Great point. I’ll read up more on Excell. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2018
  5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

6. OP
    OP
    L

Last bump anyone else have any advice? <3

7. OP
    OP
    L

FCD48255-8E7B-4DD4-ADA4-B067C667363E.jpeg
    Boiled the wood after reading further!! This is how it turned out. Not too bad actually! Hopefully will help with the clear up as well!

8. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

How long did you boil it for?

9. OP
    OP
    L

3 minutes. Not long enough I’ll tell ya the truth because today it’s the same color as before. BLACK

10. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Actually, get a siamese algea eater and some amano shrimps and the algea will start to get beaten back and eventually eradicated. THese guys eat just about every kind.

11. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Oh dang. If you attempt to reboil and manage to keep it green for a longer period of time please tell me how you managed it, I'm very interested in attempting this :)

12. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I have the same problem and out of 4 tanks, only 1 has ever had it and I have tried excel, photoperiod, phospquard, etc.
    I JUST bought 4 SAE today in hopes to get rid of the BBA. I won't know though for at least 4-6 weeks until my SAE get out of the QT tank.

Hopefully, if you get some, post results. I am taking pictures of my BBA now and will compare it a few months after the SAE get settled in the main tank.

DSC_2770.JPG

13. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

If it were me I'd do a black out period of 3 days. Make sure you're dosing enough ferts and make sure there is good water flow around the tank, otherwise another air stone or bubble wand thing might help. I personally break up the photo period but mostly just so I can have the lights on for the time periods when I am home.

14. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I'm battling BBA as well. I found Double dose of excel is working for me. spot treating it, on day 2 some of the BBA turned pink/purple already. Also My Crypt parva was affected and I was still able to pull them out of the tank and sprayed with Hydrogen Peroxide and let it sit for 15-20 mins. 2 days after all bba on the parva turned purple green. I have 15 amanos, and mistakenly bought CAE instead of SAE lol. so far deads bba are being consumed by fishes and shrimps. I suffered a loss due to the excel overdose though, my Bamboo shrimp didn't tolerate it well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice