Black Bar Endler Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by tigerfish420, Apr 9, 2018.

1. tigerfish420

tigerfish420Valued MemberMember

So we have a 15 gallon tank we call the fish factory. Buttload of females that give birth every couple weeks. We let it go for a bit and noticed 2 fully developed males in the tank my wife scooped em out today and put them in our main tank. Since than alot of the females are hanging out up in the hornwort forest my guess is that the males are gone so they feel comfortable enough to give birth but we also just did a decent water change last night while upgrading the fish rack so they may be stressed out.
    So are they bout to give birth or are they stressed somehow what y'all think?
    Sry about the quality of the pics I had to step back and zoom in so they don't freak out thinking food is coming. 15233327598931974620514.jpg15233328169341777726520.jpg

2. Fishywife

FishywifeValued MemberMember

My guess is they are about to birth. I just recently sold 40+ blue star endlers which did the same in floating wisteria. I was always finding babies milling about in it. I'm sure they will be fine.

3. fishaholic87Valued MemberMember

are these pure bred or from a fish store

4. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

Got them at a fish auction in Ohio back in October, I recently moved them from a 15 to a 30. My thoughts were it was so densely populated that the babies just weren't surviving

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Doesn't look that densley populated. Are you trying to stop them from breeding?

6. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

No if anything I'm trying to amp up the breeding while still keeping it in control I've got plenty of places to unload babies if need be.
    That pic doesn't so it justice for every female you see there's 5 you cant.

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

What is your temperature at? I've never had issues with my Endlers being worried about males in the tank. This thread shows my 55 gallon Endler tank Endler Colony I've got a couple hundred. How often do you feed?

8. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

Bout 75 degrees it's not heated
    From the info I've gathered they typically don't eat the babies except for the first while when they first come out of momma cause the babies are covered with fluid that smells and tastes good. so as long as they can hide long enough to get washed off they will be ok.
    Wasn't feeding as often as I like been really busy last few weeks so they may have been hunting em down for food.
    Typically it was once a day but for awhile I would feed every other day if I remembered.
    Now that they are in the bigger tank I should see another population explosion.

Got another question, once a female gets impregnated she is essentially ruined right? I had some not so pretty boys, get away from me and had control of the tank for awhile. I was hoping to keep a solid black bar so I could bring them back to a few stores I've been talking to. And some of my boys have spots rather than a black bar.

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

75 is pretty low for Endlers. I keep mine at 80. In the wild, Endlers live in 80+ water. It's a natural barrier that keeps guppies out of Endler territory.

The females aren't ruined if an undesirable male mated with them. You'll just need to keep a good male with them and he can replace the stored sperm with his. You will need to keep an eye out for males you don't like and separate them as they mature from fry.

10. fishaholic87Valued MemberMember

i keep mine in 78 to maintain a good male to female ratio with all this tempature research on sexes coming out

11. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

I was told temp didn't matter with ratios that it was a myth has that changed? And if I crank up the heat that just ups their metabolism and shortens their life doesn't it?

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Endlers live in higher temperatures in the wild. It's what they have evolved to live in. You could be shortening their life spans by keeping them cold. Temperature does play a role the ratio of male to female. There is good scientific research into the subject. With most live-bearers, warmer water can produce more males and colder can produce more females. I haven't seen a disproportionate amount of males to females at 80 degrees.

13. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Unrelated question, but did you ever supply Fish Gallery Houston with black bar endlers?

I saw some black bars there bred by a local breeder about 6 months ago.

14. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

Nope wasn't me unfortunatley. I'm in the south Houston area my lfs are aquazoo, rainforest pets, pet place mainly. I'll taken a drive occasionally and hit a bunch of stores in Houston.
    I'm waiting till my other 2 color variations start up so I can bring in a few options.
    So far I've got the common black bar endlers, green tigers and what I call a creamsicle(white with pink face and fins)

15. OP
    OP
    tigerfish420

I guess I'll plug my heater back In I moved my tanks round awhile back and left them unplugged in a few tanks not needing them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice