Black-banded Leporinus

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

A co-worker of mine got some bad advice from her LFS (surprise). She brought home a black-banded leporinus several months ago and it has killed (eaten) most of it's tankmates. It's about 6" now. He's also in a 40g tank

While researching these guys, I've come across a lot of similar experiences.

What are compatible (un-edible) tankmates for these fish?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

all i know about them is that they are huge fin nippers, stalk their food of live fish, will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth, get to up to a 12inches in some cases, jump out of a tank at any chance they can, and need more of a neutral ph....I was going to get some for my african tank until i saw their ph requirements...

some tankmates can be cons, dempseys, oscars, or pretty much any ca or sa cichlid without long finnage...

are you rescuing them? LOL

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

You know me so well, Shawnie:;hug2 I was doing research to see if I can rescue it or if she really just needs to bring it back to the LFS. Thank goodness it's only one, but I'd get REALLY CRANKY if it hurt one of my finned babies.

She may have to just bring it back to the LFS. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my JD's or cons. I hate to turn down the needs of a finned baby for a new home, but I also need to be responsible to the babies I already have and this guy would be a pretty big risk. He's already killed a blue gourami, a kissing gourami, two mollies, and others that she didn't know what their species was. If he hurt one of my cons or JD's, I wouldn't be able to calmly bring him to the local LFS. I'd take the attack quite personally. In my research, someone had one of these in their african tank and it took out three mbuna.

I'm not trying to get snooty or anything, but when these LFS give out poor advise on stocking compatibility, they should be responsible and refund your money when the advise they give is wrong.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the LFS ...it stinks!!!!!

from what ive learned on them, they dont kill per say just are huge nippers...are you sure your friends tank is cycled and such? although these guys hold their own to most, it would have to be a sick gourami IMO from what ive read...now mollies, I can see...

I know you will do whats best :) good luck !

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Nope, definitely not sure if my co-worker's tank is cycled. Her and I have had several discussions on it and she refuses to bring her water into me to test. She's a wee bit stubborn and just likes to throw fish in the tank. Sick gourami's are a DEFINITE possibility with her.

I'm trying to share what I've learned here with her and I think after today, she's beginning to realize that LFS give out bad information to make $$$ and that the information I give her free of charge is for the well-being of her fish. If we're really lucky, we'll have a Christmas miracle and she'll start learning about the nitrogen cycle;)

As most of us have learned here, we do the best we can to help those we can and hopefully something sinks in.

Thanks for your faith in me, Shawnie:;hug2

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They are really cool looking fish. A friend had some and had to keep them in a species only tank. That's the only way I can see to even enjoy them.
    Carol

7. btate617 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Carol
    Unless you are going to dedicate a tank to some, I wouldn't bother.
    They can be pretty brutal.

Brian

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Aaaahhh, species only. Nope, I won't take it. That would be a waste of a good cichlid tank:;voices

9. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

They are really pretty!!. Too bad they are little buggers!!.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I havent googled them yet, but was thinking you could set up one of the extra 55's you have for it... i'm sure you would like him eventually ... ok just googled it, it looks like a tank wipe out-er... i would take him back to my LFS if i was that person... just for the sake of the fish...