5 Gallon Tank Black Balloon Molly Pregnant?

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, I have had my aquarium for a bit over a year and for lack of a better term- my balloon mollies could be on Jerry Springer.

I had two male balloon mollies named Pongo&Simba as well as one female named Smudge. Pongo became aggresive and eventually killed Simba (R.I.P) where I then gave smudge to my boyfriend where he is now in a bigger lovelier tank where he has eased his aggression.

Now that you have my background, Here is my questions:
I believe Smudge is pregnant. She is completely black therefore leaving me without a clue about whether or not she is. Her stomach is rather large and she sits in the gravel a lot in a little cubby in a rock formation I have.
I got worried that she would have babies so last night I put her in the breeder. Her backside has a slight protrusion and its purely white. She also doesn't swim to much and when she does it seems to be in steps. (Meaning slowly a little and then a little more and then a little more and sometimes gives up and floats back to the bottom.) She doesnt eat very much. I'm worried though due to the fact that I saw her ram the side of the breeder once. She has only been in there for about twenty hours now. No babies. What do you suggest?

So, My questions:
1.) Does she sound preganant?
2.) Do I leave her in the breeder?
3.) How long do I leave her in the breeder itself? I don't want to be in humaine.
4.) Any other suggestions?!

Ask if you need photos.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, unfortunately I cannot tell you if you Mollie is pregnant, but I can tell you that you are housing your Mollies in too small of a tank. It is recommended that you keep Mollies in a minimum of 20 gallons because they can reach lengths of 3-5". She could be acting funny because she is stressed due to little swim space.

How many fish are you currently keeping in your 5 gallon tank?

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Currently, I have six.
Two guppies. One Sunset Platy. Two albino catfish bottom feeders.
She is happy normally. She just keeps shaking the breeder. I let her out today because she kept ramming her head into the side. She seems really happy now. I'm just afraid that she'll have babies in the tank and they will be eaten.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah unfortunately, she is probably pretty stressed if she is pregnant because she doesn't have much space to swim. I'd say you are pretty well overstocked.

If she does have fry, the chances of them getting eaten are pretty high since its a smaller tank. Unless, you have some floating plants or a lot of hiding places, they are unlikely to survive.

All of you fish are currently under recommended tank size:

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Guppy.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Platy.htm

Last edited:

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is My Black Balloon Molly Pregnant to you? (Pictures attached)

I have a sweet balloon molly that is completely black named Smudge. She had two males in the tank with her for a little over a month until one passed away and the other was too 'dominent' so I had to give him away to my boyfriend for his tank. (Don't worry, he is not aggressive anymore.)

So, Anyways, Smudge is hiding a lot in her little cove and she has a bit of belly on her. She occasionally has a hard time swimming to the top of the tank but she is still a little social.

Do you think she is pregnant?

I posted a photo for you to see. Since she is so dark you cant make out features, but look at her tummy. Ask for more photos if needed.

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive combined your posts ifoundnemo as you only need one for the same topic

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That sounds good.
I'm buying a fifteen gallon tank next week anyway. I just dont want to move them until the black molly has her babies (If she does).

I'm not overly concerned though. They all seem very happy :;dolphin

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your molly may be pregnant, it's hard to tell. What size tank does your boyfriend have? Maybe the pregnant one could live in that tank until you can upgrade? I don't know what else he has in there... just trying to think of ways to get her stress down. What does your boyfriend have in his tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom