Black Angels Question 

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at my favorite LFS yesterday, it was close to closing time, and I noticed a tank of assorted angels and inside were some of the best looking black angels I think I've ever seen! (and no camera) They had white,pure white, stripes on them but they weren't marbles no two were alike they weren't blotchy it was like painted straight lines. Question one: has anyone ever seen these? or know what they are called ? So then after the GUY sees me looking he comes over and starts telling me how "for some reason" black angelfish aren't as hardy as the other colors "must be something genetic, you know in their genetic dna" so I'm thinking the guy just doesn't want to dip fish for me so I smiled and nodded and acted like he was very wise (I know the owner I'll see her after work) So I don't believe him but I thought I'd run it by you guys first: Does a color variant affect hardiness and do you know if it's true in this case?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would definitely need to see a photo. I can't picture what you are describing. If it isn't marble of any kind....and the stripes are white rather than black, I am just not picturing it. Could you possibly go back and get photos? Or find a photo online that looks like them??

As for darks being weaker, that is somewhat true actually. A double dark angelfish (D/D) tends to be weaker than a dark angelfish that has only one dark gene. Similar to albinos being weaker. Its just something about them. They are supposedly weaker fish. HOWEVER, many of the black angelfish you see out there are not double darks. An angel with a dark/gold combo will be just as dark as a double dark because the dark gene dominates the gold gene. Which is why sometimes you can have two jet black fish produce 25% gold babies.

There are several ways you can get an all black angelfish without it being a D/D. So you can't say that ALL black angels are weaker fish.

I have also seen people say blushers are weaker fish. I haven't experienced that personally. And I Have bred and raised a lot of blushers. I think that a lot of the time, when you start to get recessive gene combos, like double darks, or albinos, or blushers... it can make the fish less hardy. I have heard some say the blues are less hardy too. That is another recessive gene situation.

My theory is that is has to do with how they are bred. If there was a lot of inbreeding to get the recessive gene combos people are looking for, the strain could be weaker than other strains of the same phenotype that were created using unrelated fish. Does that make sense?

I just want to add that the ones at the store can NOT be double darks if they have white stripes. So they shouldn't be any less hardy than any other angels. Unless they were poorly bred.

Crispii said:
They might be panda angelfish.
A panda is a colorless koi....aka gold marble blusher. So that would be a marble and they said it wasn't marble. So I doubt that is it.

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am going after work to get them(about two hours from now ) I'll take pictures then , I'll look online first. thanks

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
I would definitely need to see a photo. I can't picture what you are describing. If it isn't marble of any kind....and the stripes are white rather than black, I am just not picturing it. Could you possibly go back and get photos? Or find a photo online that looks like them??

As for darks being weaker, that is somewhat true actually. A double dark angelfish (D/D) tends to be weaker than a dark angelfish that has only one dark gene. Similar to albinos being weaker. Its just something about them. They are supposedly weaker fish. HOWEVER, many of the black angelfish you see out there are not double darks. An angel with a dark/gold combo will be just as dark as a double dark because the dark gene dominates the gold gene. Which is why sometimes you can have two jet black fish produce 25% gold babies.

There are several ways you can get an all black angelfish without it being a D/D. So you can't say that ALL black angels are weaker fish.

I have also seen people say blushers are weaker fish. I haven't experienced that personally. And I Have bred and raised a lot of blushers. I think that a lot of the time, when you start to get recessive gene combos, like double darks, or albinos, or blushers... it can make the fish less hardy. I have heard some say the blues are less hardy too. That is another recessive gene situation.

My theory is that is has to do with how they are bred. If there was a lot of inbreeding to get the recessive gene combos people are looking for, the strain could be weaker than other strains of the same phenotype that were created using unrelated fish. Does that make sense?

I just want to add that the ones at the store can NOT be double darks if they have white stripes. So they shouldn't be any less hardy than any other angels. Unless they were poorly bred.

A panda is a colorless koi....aka gold marble blusher. So that would be a marble and they said it wasn't marble. So I doubt that is it.
Totally agree. Recessive genes. Like pearlscale (two recessive pearlscale genes) are said to often result in pelvic fin deformities. I only saw that in one spawn between two particular pearlscale fish, but it did happen with about half that one spawn.

I'm excited to see these fish!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppygirl88 said:
I am going after work to get them(about two hours from now ) I'll take pictures then , I'll look online first. thanks
Where are the pics!!! Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom