Black Algae Or Cyanobacteria? Suggestions

Dechi

Well Known
Is this a new tank ? It so ir could be diatoms.

If not a new tank, and your plants aren’t melting and adapting, they look like they need nutrients.

OP
77hermanwilliams

77hermanwilliams

Dechi said:
Is this a new tank ? It so ir could be diatoms.

If not a new tank, and your plants aren’t melting and adapting, they look like they need nutrients.
It is a "new" tank. I've probably had this one going for about 2 months. I'm sure the plants need nutrients. Is there an easy way to do that?

Crispii said:
You can use hydrogen peroxide to eradicate black algae or cyanobacteria.
How do I use hydrogen peroxide for black algae/cyanobacteria? It can't possibly be as easy as pouring a cap in the tank.

Dechi

Well Known
77hermanwilliams said:
It is a "new" tank. I've probably had this one going for about 2 months. I'm sure the plants need nutrients. Is there an easy way to do that?
I’m no expert in plants, I’ve always had problems with them myself.

I started a new 45 gallon planted tank and got Thrice C (for low tech aquariums, if you don’t have CO2 like me). It is a complete formula for low tech tanks and has all the macros and micros you need.

If haven’t started using it as I’m waiting for my plants to show signs of at least growing a little bit before I start adding it, as I don’t want to fertilize the algae...

OP
77hermanwilliams

77hermanwilliams

Crispii said:
This video should explain it:
Thanks for the video. That is going to help for sure. I don't have a lot of things in my tank so I'm going to remove as much as I can and clean it. How do I figure out what the root cause of the algae is? What should I look at?

Dechi said:
I’m no expert in plants, I’ve always had problems with them myself.

I started a new 45 gallon planted tank and got Thrice C (for low tech aquariums, if you don’t have CO2 like me). It is a complete formula for low tech tanks and has all the macros and micros you need.

If haven’t started using it as I’m waiting for my plants to show signs of at least growing a little bit before I start adding it, as I don’t want to fertilize the algae...

So, with Thrive C you just pump it right into the tank? 1 pump per 5 gallons = 55 gallon tank = 11 shots? I would think the number of plants you have would be some influence as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
77hermanwilliams said:
Thanks for the video. That is going to help for sure. I don't have a lot of things in my tank so I'm going to remove as much as I can and clean it. How do I figure out what the root cause of the algae is? What should I look at?
There are many causes for algae to appear, but here are the reasons:

-Too much light.

-Too much nutrients.

-Little to no filtration or circulation.

-Having slow growing plants or not having enough plants.

Dechi

Well Known
77hermanwilliams said:
So, with Thrive C you just pump it right into the tank? 1 pump per 5 gallons = 55 gallon tank = 11 shots? I would think the number of plants you have would be some influence as well.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it looks like it. I think you’re right about the number of plants influencing the quantity required. When I start, I plan on using 1/3 to 1/2 of the recommended dose, just to be safe.

New Threads