Biz's Black German Ram Breeding Journal :-) - Page 24

DarkOne

I've heard of it but couldn't find it easily but found spirulina so I went with that.

While I was waiting for my Amanos to get berried again, I had a 5.5 saltwater tank running and put some brine shrimp in there and fed them spirulina powder. They got pretty big and I was feeding them to my juvenile EBA and rummynose tetras. Not enough survived to make it worth continuing.

tfreema

I am really glad your rams are doing well. Very interesting fry food mixtures and techniques I will have to keep in mind

KimberlyG

I might buy myself one of those! But only if my rams babies make it on the powdered stuff!

I have three sets in the house. One motor and pestal is Aqua Dedicated. I couldn't do without it. TJMaxx and Homegoods have them all the time. You should get one.

DarkOne

I have three sets in the house. One motor and pestal is Aqua Dedicated. I couldn't do without it. TJMaxx and Homegoods have them all the time. You should get one.
There's a lot to consider when buying a mortar and pestle, I found out when I bought mine. I had no idea and got a stainless steel set from Amazon. Clay, porcelin and wood weren't good choices and granite was the best but $$$$$. For the few times I use it for (fish stuff only), the steel set is good enough.

bizaliz3

There's a lot to consider when buying a mortar and pestle, I found out when I bought mine. I had no idea and got a stainless steel set from Amazon. Clay, porcelin and wood weren't good choices and granite was the best but $$$$$. For the few times I use it for (fish stuff only), the steel set is good enough.

Out of curiosity...why is porcelain bad?

DarkOne

Out of curiosity...why is porcelain bad?
Supposedly, it can chip/crack/shatter if used too hard.

If you're only going to use it for fish food, I think it would be fine.

bizaliz3

Supposedly, it can chip/crack/shatter if used too hard.

If you're only going to use it for fish food, I think it would be fine.

Ok. Cuz there's a nice looking porcelain one for $7.99. And I'd like to spend as little as possible. But not if it is unsafe.

CaptAnnDuchow

Just have to say those black rams are gorgeous..makes me want to set up another tank and order some lol.

bizaliz3

How about this for a good laugh!!
So...normally when the lights go down...the fry bundle up on the bottom. But For some reason...these guys decided to switch it up, just once, and formed their pile in the UPPER corner! HAHAHAHA!!!
20190223_191122.jpg

DeniseF

The Fry are looking good! All nice full tummies! So happy for you!

bizaliz3

Happy Monday all!
So, I went back a few pages to confirm dates...
These rams hatched the evening of Feb 16th. So tonight will be 9 days after hatching. They had their first meal the evening of Feb 20th. So tonight they will have been eating for 5 days.
During this time, the losses were in the single digits. Just a small handful of dead fry, and none at all for the last few days. All of them appear very strong and solid at this point!!

I am officially getting excited now!!

The Fry are looking good! All nice full tummies! So happy for you!
Thank you so much!!! If it weren't for you having so much success in water almost identical to mine....I probably would have given up and blamed it on the water!!! Thank you for your encouragement and support!

Thanks to ALL of you for your encouragement and support!!

tfreema

Great news! So glad to see you succeed here.

jenmur

Oh wow! Well the fry figured they didn’t wanna be predictable so to the top it shall be!

bizaliz3

Brand new pics. Day 5 of eating and free swimming. Showing off the light and dark again.

20190225_142639.jpg

20190225_134556.jpg

CaptAnnDuchow

Brand new pics. Day 5 of eating and free swimming. Showing off the light and dark again.

20190225_142639.jpg

20190225_134556.jpg
They look like floating ghost riders lol. So dang cute

bizaliz3

Day 7 eating and free swimming
20190227_145151.jpg
20190227_145314.jpg
20190227_150034.jpg
20190227_150015.jpg

Did I mention pooping?? Lol

20190227_145238.jpg

CaptAnnDuchow

Day 7 eating and free swimming
20190227_145151.jpg
20190227_145314.jpg
20190227_150034.jpg
20190227_150015.jpg

Did I mention pooping?? Lol

20190227_145238.jpg
How do you get such good pictures?

bizaliz3

How do you get such good pictures?

My Samsung S8 and an extreme amount of patience!!!

DeniseF

My Samsung S8 and an extreme amount of patience!!!
haha I was just thinking the same.. I have my daughters old IPhone 6s, its ok, but I never get good close ups!

bizaliz3

haha I was just thinking the same.. I have my daughters old IPhone 6s, its ok, but I never get good close ups!

Even my Samsung s3 was pretty impressive.

It doesn't matter how good the camera is if the fry won't sit still! Lol it is time consuming getting these photos!! So I hope you all enjoy them! Haha

jenmur

Woo hoo!! And hey pooping is a good sign. Food being digested and whatnot

bizaliz3

My ram babies hatched 14 days ago. They've been eating and free swimming for 10 days. I decided it was time to get them out of the breeder box. They are now in a 20g. I hope it isn't too big too soon. I usually start my fry in a 10g.

Heres the last pictures from the breeder box today. Pictures will be much more challenging now that they are in a bigger tank.

20190302_175335.jpg
20190302_175445.jpg
20190302_175626.jpg
20190302_175740.jpg
20190302_175923.jpg
20190302_180107.jpg
20190302_180302.jpg

jenmur

Oh wow! They are looking good

coralbandit

Just keep the tank only 1/2 full to help them get around.
That is a trick around water changes for a week or so also .
You can top up slowly like adding new water without having to worry about sucking up babies.

JLeeM

They're already starting to look like little rams.

CaptAnnDuchow

Love them!!! Sooo cute. You're doing great bizliz!!

DioAquatics

I know I’m not posting much on the thread but I am watching and I’m loving it! The babies look amazing biz

DeniseF

They look great and your dark ones look like mine so they should be interesting to watch growing! I lost a lot of mine but more due to having to medicate the whole tank for ich! But have enough to keep me going. Mine are a few days behind yours, I already moved them to my 8g because I wanted to remove them from the medicated tank, they did much better, so I think yours will be ok in your 20g, my fry that are with their parents are in a 20g. It’s so exciting!

tfreema

I do what coralbandit said. Except I keep it half full for a while so water changes are quick (not as much to change) using a turkey baster to clean bottom so I am not distracted by vacuuming during water change and accidentally sucking up a baby.

I use a manual vac and bucket so just in case one gets sucked up, it is just in the bucket and not down the drain.

AquaticJ

Newborn fry look so funny when they are looking at you! Haha
20190222_083637.jpg
Omg the one on the left is scary!!!

bizaliz3

Omg the one on the left is scary!!!

I know!! Like a little ghost or something!! I posted it on Facebook and when I did that Facebook wanted me to tag the fish because they thought it looked like a human face. Haha!!!! So it wanted to know who it was. Lol
Just keep the tank only 1/2 full to help them get around.
That is a trick around water changes for a week or so also .
You can top up slowly like adding new water without having to worry about sucking up babies.

Unfortunately I didnt think about that and I put them in a well established 20 gallon with an HOB (and filter intake cover). So keeping it half full doesn't work.

I turned off the filter and spot feeded them for the last couple meals. It seems to be going ok. But I do wish it was half fill with a sponge filter and not an HOB.

They look great and your dark ones look like mine so they should be interesting to watch growing! I lost a lot of mine but more due to having to medicate the whole tank for ich! But have enough to keep me going. Mine are a few days behind yours, I already moved them to my 8g because I wanted to remove them from the medicated tank, they did much better, so I think yours will be ok in your 20g, my fry that are with their parents are in a 20g. It’s so exciting!

Itll be fun to watch ours grow up together!! Haha

Love them!!! Sooo cute. You're doing great bizliz!!
I know I’m not posting much on the thread but I am watching and I’m loving it! The babies look amazing biz

Thanks so much guys!!!!

I do what coralbandit said. Except I keep it half full for a while so water changes are quick (not as much to change) using a turkey baster to clean bottom so I am not distracted by vacuuming during water change and accidentally sucking up a baby.

I use a manual vac and bucket so just in case one gets sucked up, it is just in the bucket and not down the drain.

I remember hearing these suggestions previously and I'm annoyed with myself for forgetting!! I suppose I can steal a sponge filter and shut off the HOB for a bit. But I'd rather just roll with it as it is....I'm too exhausted at this point.

bizaliz3

So far so good in the 20 gallon with an HOB filter. I turn it off at feeding time and squirt the BBS in their direction. And then when they are not eating, there are plenty of "Dead" spots in the tank where they can relax without being bothered by the flow of the HOB. Its barely been 24 hours, but so far so good! I've got java fern and anubias in there too, for extra cover.

coralbandit

I would think if it works with angels it should work with the rams .
You got this !

bizaliz3

I would think if it works with angels it should work with the rams .
You got this !

Thank you!!
I don't usually put angel fry into a 20 gallon this fast either though. So I am a little paranoid by the whole thing. But they seem to be doing well. And I figure, the bigger the tank, the faster they will grow. So putting them in the 20 gallon now might speed things up.

AquaticJ

So I thought I’d mention what I’m being told by people breeding Black Rams. To get that dark black color and not just light black, you need a gold breeding with a Black. Gold is recessive and black requires two “doses” of black to go really dark. At F4 the black will need to be rejuvenated by a new line of black to be crossed with your current stock. Multiple people have told me this, so I would assume it to be true.

coralbandit

Any gold ? Or gold from black ?
Where are these peoples blacks ?
No one is selling them so I think no one has them or they would be jumping on the $75 each band wagon ….
Sounds like many are trying to reach conclusions for not getting ahead of the time it is going to take to lock them in ..

DeniseF

No one is selling them so I think no one has them or they would be jumping on the $75 each band wagon ….
Sounds like many are trying to reach conclusions for not getting ahead of the time it is going to take to lock them in ..
The only info I've seen on it is from Marco and he seemed to think it was just a matter of generations didnt he? Oh well we will see I guess.

AquaticJ

That's the thing, I don’t know what they’re doing with them, so for all I know its a rumor. But that’s what they’ve been told by whoever they’re getting them from. It does make sense because those who have their blacks breeding don’t breed true. What’s coming out is some Gold and some darker colored, but not that jet black like the one you sent me. I really want to get to the bottom of all this. I don’t think I’m allowed to post where this is coming from specifically, it’s no secret or anything, but the mods won’t like it most likely. But Marco is there.

(Tom: I think gold from black)

DeniseF

That's the thing, I don’t know what they’re doing with them, so for all I know its a rumor. But that’s what they’ve been told by whoever they’re getting them from. It does make sense because those who have their blacks breeding don’t breed true. What’s coming out is some Gold and some darker colored, but not that jet black like the one you sent me. I really want to get to the bottom of all this. I don’t think I’m allowed to post where this is coming from specifically, it’s no secret or anything, but the mods won’t like it most likely. But Marco is there.

(Tom: I think gold from black)
OK I think I got you

coralbandit

So a black like this ;

unu1wakl.jpg
and a gold like this ;

0o5IUSll.jpg

Meh why not ? Most can't but this is not a problem for me if it works .
I have stated the golds have to carry the black gene the question is how dark.Their siblings for the most are among the darker so far ?
We will see...

AquaticJ

Did you set this up after I brought that up?

coralbandit

Did you set this up after I brought that up?
Knowing nothing on genetics I have not stated already this is possibly if you want the common sense explanation ;
The golds are the siblings of the darkest rams yet ,so they are despite color black in their genes .Possibly like getting 1 green swordtail every 100 of the Jet Black fry ? That is how that works still today for me .
But there are too many golds in compare with these guys IME. It is easy to play when you have the fish which is why you always try to raise all you can .
The Male is one of the F1 darks born with the first golds. The gold is from a different spawn .
You would think if that were true the golds would be in more demand ? I had a lot of looks and I know AB has been wonky like crazy but I have only sent one pair to a buddy from another forum who has not been following along .He has some of my other rams that must be beast because he laughed at the pair of golds I sent him ...

bizaliz3

My little guys are getting their dorsal fins!! I wish I could capture it on camera. But I just can't get them to show up in a photo. :-(

But I am so pleased with how they are doing in their 20g.

CaptAnnDuchow

My little guys are getting their dorsal fins!! I wish I could capture it on camera. But I just can't get them to show up in a photo. :-(

But I am so pleased with how they are doing in their 20g.
You have to be just over the moon

bizaliz3

You have to be just over the moon

I really am!!! haha. These last couple weeks have been such a joy!

bizaliz3

They've been eating and free swimming for exactly 2 weeks. And I think I captured the dorsals on camera! Lol
These shots are of them way in the back of the 20g. So it's not the clearest at all since I had to zoom in so far.

But here you go!!

20190305_232610.jpg
20190305_232806.jpg
20190305_233120.jpg

bizaliz3

Just a quick video for you all to see the cloud of rams in their 20g

They are doing so well! I don't need to shut off the filter and spot feed anymore. They all go hunting for bbs rather than waiting for it to be in their face. Its such a good feeling!!

Who wants to zoom in on this photo and get a count for me??? Lol
20190306_091254.jpg
Here...I'll zoom in for you. Lol

20190306_091630.jpg

There are some behind the java fern too. So it won't be an entirely accurate count.

DeniseF

I am guessing you'll have around 70 fry there! That's about what I ended up with on my first 2 batches.

bizaliz3

I am guessing you'll have around 70 fry there! That's about what I ended up with on my first 2 batches.

Awesome! I am so excited! They are all doing SOOOO well. I can't stop grinning!!

Galathiel

Yesterday, I saw a video with a breeder on it. He was talking about eggs, but it could apply to fry I suppose. He took a screenshot then used a markie to count them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Charlyc
Replies
Views
CHanna
Replies
Views
Briggiegers
  • Question
Replies