Bizaliz3’s Angelfish Breeding Journal :-)

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just practicing my watermarking on some fresh pics of some of my keepers. :) I got all my keepers into their own tank now.
20190415_103415.jpg
20190415_103722.jpg
20190415_103616.jpg
20190415_103821.jpg
20190415_002720.jpg
20190415_103212.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Bizaliz, lovely fish & a good idea to watermark your pics as you’ve had pics stolen before.
If I can make a suggestion having dabbled with photoshop & paint shop pro in the past.... removing backgrounds can be quite an easy thing to do so I’d suggest making sure at least part of your watermark goes across the fish, it may deter some people from taking them.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Coradee said:
Hi Bizaliz, lovely fish & a good idea to watermark your pics as you’ve had pics stolen before.
If I can make a suggestion having dabbled with photoshop & paint shop pro in the past.... removing backgrounds can be quite an easy thing to do so I’d suggest making sure at least part of your watermark goes across the fish, it may deter some people from taking them.
Thanks @Coradee !

You are absolutely right. I just hate the idea of covering any part of the fish with the watermark. I feel like it ruins the pic a bit. I do see it a lot though. The words running straight through the middle of the fish. Its unfortunate that we need to do that.

I was hoping if I put the words close enough to the edge of the fish it would be harder to edit out. Especially if its between the fins.

But you are totally right. If I want my photos protected, I need to sacrafice the look of the photos to keep them safe.

How does this look?
20190415_122334.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it is a shame to have to do it but that looks better & may be more of a deterrent

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can put the words on the fish but have the transparency lowered so it isn't as obvious when glanced at (but visible when you look fully).

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm too lazy to watermark today. Lol

I love the gold splotches on the back of the body by the tail on this one. Its getting cooler and cooler as it colors up. All 4 of the following pics are the same exact fish

20190418_143305.jpg
20190418_143331.jpg

20190418_143719.jpg
20190418_143646.jpg

And the lovely pearls on one of the 12 platinums.
20190418_143608.jpg

And my one eyed guy...Spunky...he has such unique markings for a ghost. I swear I see a hint of pearl on him too.
20190418_143231.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The world's most beautiful breeding pair (in my eyes) have a cloud of free swimmers in the community tank!
20190418_190131.jpg
20190418_190050.jpg

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I finally got a pretty decent in tank shot of my angels in their home tank!

IMG_20190418_092537038.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not only is this pair stunning...but they are such good parent raisers! And watching angels parent raise is priceless!

It's a bit scary having a breeding pair in a community.....but luckily the aggression you see in this below video settled down. It's just that the fry JUST started free swimming right before I took the video. So mom and dad were still in panic mode!! Lol

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow that's a big cloud in the community tank! No room to grow the babies, or will you grow some out? When I was breeding fish, I'd take a few from the community tank to raise in another tank. The parents don't seem to notice much, well, they get over it fast, they are so occupied with the rest.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
Wow that's a big cloud in the community tank! No room to grow the babies, or will you grow some out? When I was breeding fish, I'd take a few from the community tank to raise in another tank. The parents don't seem to notice much, well, they get over it fast, they are so occupied with the rest.
I've got no room to grow out the babies, even a small group of them. And I have already raised a very large spawn of theirs. They are approx. 3 months old now. Many of which are going to the auction this coming Saturday. And I have about 10 or so that I am keeping for a while. @Gabbie has one of the biggest ones from them. :) The one she chose was a super veil silver ghost. He was probably the biggest in the entire spawn. :) She made a good choice with that guy!

This pair produces Veil and super veil babies. They were a mix of silver ghosts, Blushers, and blue koi (which is a koi with a silver gene, there are no blue genes....genetically speaking they are a silver gold marble blusher) The ones I kept were ALL of the blue koi and a few other blushers that had exceptional fins. There appears to be some smokey involved, but very very very subtle smokey. I think dad has a smokey gene, but even on him, you can hardly see it.

Anyway, I have found that I much prefer blue koi to the regular koi. I don't like that they have "blue" in their name though, because that throws people off. The only difference between a koi and a blue koi is that the blue koi has a silver gene with the gold marble gene. (gm/+) and a regular koi is either gm/gm or gm/g. With that being said, I feel like the blue koi should be called silver koi rather than blue koi. But the angelfish society named them blue koi. So that's what they are called. haha And I am a purist like that...I prefer to only call angelfish by the name the phenotype has been given by the angelfish society.

I purchased a blue koi years ago from my local LFS that I no longer have. The local breeder who brought them to the LFS named them "rusty blue koi". I think adding the word "rusty" is nice (even though I hate made up names) because their koi color is rusty colored rather than bright orange or red. I think they should be named either rusty koi or silver koi.

Sorry, I got sidetracked. So, the babies from the video are already gone. It was a very full community tank and I wasn't leaving lights on or anything. I was just letting nature take its course. However, I very much like this pair. And Because I have grown so fond of the blue koi, I will likely raise another of their spawns in the near future. This weekend when I get rid of the majority of my current babies and start shuffling things around, I plan to give this pair their own 29 gallon. I want to allow them to parent raise in their own tank. :)

On another note....my pinoy Paraiba pair spawned over the weekend. I grabbed the freshly hatched wigglers and put them into a breeder box last night. I am very eager to see what they make. I expect to learn a lot about their genetic make ups by putting them together like this. This is my first new spawn of babies in 3 months!! (first spawn in 3 months I am choosing to raise anyway haha)

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been fascinated listening to you talk about your angels. I just wish I could absorb more of it! If I ever have my largest tank free up, I plan to add an angel to it ... because of your thread. I owned them a hundred years ago, but haven't owned an angel in years (just have nano tanks and a single 46 gallon now).

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Galathiel said:
I've been fascinated listening to you talk about your angels. I just wish I could absorb more of it! If I ever have my largest tank free up, I plan to add an angel to it ... because of your thread. I owned them a hundred years ago, but haven't owned an angel in years (just have nano tanks and a single 46 gallon now).
Thank you for listening to me ramble about my angels!! haha. I am glad that you find it fascinating! It has taken a lot of time and obsession for me to be able to absorb all the genetic info about them that I have!! And I still have so much more to learn. Its amazing how complicated their genetics can become! When I talk about their genetics on here, I TRY to keep it as easy to follow as possible. But I am sure it gets overwhelming fast.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Happy Tuesday All!!
I just want to share my new breeding project!
So, a couple posts back, I am gushing about my newfound love of the unique and relatively rare blue koi angels. And how a small portion of the babies from one of my pairs are blue koi.
Well, a little while back I joined an angelfish group on facebook that has some of the most amazing breeders I have ever seen. People who have been doing it for over a decade and even multiple decades. They have been working on their special lines for years and it really really shows!! Sadly, most are overseas.

Anyway, I was chatting with a man yesterday (English is not his first language, so it was hard at times) and I was telling him how I love the blue koi and just wish mine had more coverage like his. (granted mine are very young and have a lot of coloring up to do yet) He had posted some pics of some gorgeous adult blue koi. (their iridescent patching is blue/teal colored, this is where the "blue" in their name comes from) He said what I need to do is breed a silver blusher with a high coverage koi. Half the babies would be blue koi, the other half would be blushers. (none would be regular koi as one might think) And by using a high coverage koi, hopefully the rusty color on the blue koi babies will cover more of their bodies as well.

I hadn't even thought of that!!! And my handsome male who makes the 25% blue koi with his gold marble ghost partner...he is a silver blusher. He has no gold or marble genes. So if I breed him with a nice high coverage koi female, I could potentially make some really nice blue koi out of them. The funny thing is....this man had bred a veil tail blue koi with a regular koi in order to get the veil tail gene into his koi line. haha. So, he used a blue koi to get regular koi veils. While I am using a regular koi to intentionally get blue koi. haha I think I am just attracted to the rarer types. The regular koi have gotten so common that they don't excite me much anymore. And while the blue koi simply looks like a regular koi with muted colors....I find them so much more attractive. I worry I won't have any demand for the babies though....since people are more attracted to the bright red color of the regular koi. They may see these ones and assume they are just blah looking koi. But there is more to them than that! You just have to wait until they are an adult to see their full potential.

The next step now is to find me a really nice koi female. And I HAVE! A friend from the MN aquarium society is letting my borrow one of his really really nice high coverage female koi for this project. I hate the idea of "borrowing" since I would still want to QT....even from a trusted source. But at the same time, it would be nice to save money and time by getting me a female to use immediately rather than buying a group and growing them out, or paying extra for a proven female. And high coverage koi can get SPENDY!! The koi I am borrowing is a standard fin. Which I prefer. Because my male is a veil tail. So he and his current veil tail partner made lots of super veils. I do love veil tails, but I am not the fondest of the super veils. So one standard parent would be ideal for this blue koi project!

So there you have it. I am deviating away from the phillipine blue gene with my latest project. But I am still going strong with my Paraiba projects too. I am ordering a group of them from an amazing breeder I found in my facebook group. Her fish are in high demand!! Her adults are the most stunning Paraiba angels I have ever seen. And many are pearlscale as well. She handpicked a group of good potential future breeders for me and I am using my auction earnings this weekend towards this order! haha I mean....I do have my pinoy Paraiba pair....but they are from angelmania and I just don't trust the quality of their fish. So I like the idea of getting my Paraiba breeders elsewhere.

Ok done now! Thanks for reading!!!

EDIT! My angel order has officially been decided!
2 chocolate Paraiba veils (my top choice)
1 blue chocolate leopard (chosen by the breeder for me)
3 paraibas in pinoy and regular.

So pretty much all paraibas. Just different types. Other than the blue chocolate leopard which the breeder suggested for me. She has a specific one she thinks I will like a lot. I am super excited right now!! lol

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So exciting! It will be neat to see how your new projects go.

Our local angelfish breeder has recently introduced his new pair which is a smokey pinoy paraiba and chocolate pinoy paraiba. Funny how he is on the same new breeding path as you. He is the one who has had all the beautiful varieties of phillipine blues that my smokies and platinums came from. He has evidently gotten bored with them or sold so many that a lot of others are now breeding them.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tfreema said:
So exciting! It will be neat to see how your new projects go.

Our local angelfish breeder has recently introduced his new pair which is a smokey pinoy paraiba and chocolate pinoy paraiba. Funny how he is on the same new breeding path as you. He is the one who has had all the beautiful varieties of phillipine blues that my smokies and platinums came from. He has evidently gotten bored with them or sold so many that a lot of others are now breeding them.
Haha, that's what happened with my lemon plecos. The local demand has fallen because they are getting more common with all the locals that I sold to breeding and selling them now. There were a ton at the auction last time. I was bummed by that.

He could have gotten bored with them too. That's what keeps happening to me. I wanted blues so bad...any kind of blue. Then got bored with blue silvers real fast. I loved Koi at first too, then got bored with them. I got bored with marbles and silvers after my very first spawn ever. haha So now I have progressed to blue koi and paraibas! And honestly, after a few spawns, I may get bored with paraibas and blue koi too. Especially if they don't sell well.

I got bored with platinums too, but the reason I plan to keep breeding them is due to popularity. I probably mentioned this already, but I am going to breed two of my own platinums together (which is why I am keeping 5 or 6 for myself to grow out) Due to the genes I know they have, half will be blushing platinum....aka platinum Paraiba. The other half, platinum. I have a feeling I will have no trouble selling those. I have been disappointed at the lack of local interest in my blushers....I am super anxious to see what kind of attention they get at the auction when people see them in person. Their fins and body shape are STELLAR. so even if blushing isn't your thing.....stellar fins and body shape are anyone's thing!!

At least angels are not as easy to breed as plecos. So there is less chance for all my buyers to become competition like they did with my lemon plecos.

My goal is to become well-known as the "local angelfish breeder" like your guy is! haha

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can't wait to see pictures of your new babies. All this genetic talk still makes my head spin. Here I am with two angels and don't even know their genders. Haha.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I was staring at the "auction" tank last night and spotted this guy. He didnt catch my eye the day I separated my keepers from the rest. But he caught me eye last night and I think he should be added to the keepers! What do you all think?????

20190424_205700.jpg

For those who remember Black Mamba...he is one of her grandkids!!! (As are many of the other keepers!)

Side note...I got an excellent photo of one of my phillipine blue albinos. She is so stunning!
20190424_213113.jpg

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Love the dark fins on the first one! I’d keep him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom