Bitten By The Bug, One More Time

Martin Honigmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

My name is Martin and I have had freshwater tanks on and off for 40 years. Got my first 10-gallon tank when I was in middle school. Over the years I have kept and experimented with different kinds of fish, from guppies and mollies to Pacu, Oscars, and Knifefish. More recently my favorite are Angelfish. After quitting for a few years I got a new 36-gallon tank about a month ago and while looking for a second one I found a fully equipped 85-gallon bowfront at a garage sale for $20. I am planning to start setting it up this weekend.

My main interest now is to raise angels to get pairs and breed them. But also I want to try to make a very nice aquascape with natural plants and driftwood on the new tank. And have a feeling that may want to try my luck in the future with Discus.

I have found some very nice information on this site. Learning new things all the time. I am always amazed at people sharing their know-how and secrets in a completely selfish manner. So thanks to all of you that share all this information on this forums. I will certainly do the same whenever I can.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL. An 85G fully equipped for $20? I am soooo jealous! I was happy to find a 10G last week with the lid for $5. There has to be another big one out there somewhere. lol

Martin Honigmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
Welcome to FL. An 85G fully equipped for $20? I am soooo jealous! I was happy to find a 10G last week with the lid for $5. There has to be another big one out there somewhere. lol
Yes, I couldn't believe the guy when he told me $20. I asked him a second time and he said he was moving and needed to get rid of it. Included was a nearly new Fluval 406 with plenty of new media, a Whisper 300 AP air pump, Via Aqua heater, under gravel filter, lamp, glass lids, etc. My wife doesn't believe that I paid only $20 for it!

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Congratulations on the great find! I'd be dragging home a tank and setup like that too if I found one!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
where EXACTLY was this yard sale ...? lmbo j/k great find. best of luck with your angel project, i know nothing about angels or i would offer some insight, but congrats and best of luck

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Martin Honigmann said:
Yes, I couldn't believe the guy when he told me $20. I asked him a second time and he said he was moving and needed to get rid of it. Included was a nearly new Fluval 406 with plenty of new media, a Whisper 300 AP air pump, Via Aqua heater, under gravel filter, lamp, glass lids, etc. My wife doesn't believe that I paid only $20 for it!
Great deal, if they posted it online they would have gotten a lot more. I need to start checking some yard sales.
There was a local 40G breeder / stand and fluval 406 that i tried to buy 4 hours after they posted it all for $80. I was already too late and they had a line of people waiting to buy it.
:grumpy:

Martin Honigmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NYFishGuy said:
Great deal, if they posted it online they would have gotten a lot more. I need to start checking some yard sales.
There was a local 40G breeder / stand and fluval 406 that i tried to buy 4 hours after they posted it all for $80. I was already too late and they had a line of people waiting to buy it.
:grumpy:
The thing was that I have been looking for a new tank for several weeks on craigslist. And every time I found one that I liked it was too much, or the seller won't respond to my emails, or tried to sell me the tank with a bunch of fish I didn't want.
Then that Friday night I saw the add for the garage sale mentioning an 80-gallon tank, no price. So in the morning I went to the ATM early and got $200 cash thinking that would be the most I would pay for it. I was very surprised when the guy told me $20 so I jumped on it. Pure luck I guess. Or karma for the two empty tanks that I had in the garage that my wife threw away a few months back.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom