Question Bits floating in tank during cycle

PennineAcute

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
On the second week of my cycle and my water has little bits floating around.

Wondering what they are?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does it look like bugs or just debris? What filter do you have? Can you add some polyfill to the filter to help catch some or even take your net and manually remove the bigger pieces. could be from your new filter media or maybe from not rinsing your gravel well enough. Just a couple thoughts.

OP
P

PennineAcute

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Does it look like bugs or just debris? What filter do you have? Can you add some polyfill to the filter to help catch some or even take your net and manually remove the bigger pieces. could be from your new filter media or maybe from not rinsing your gravel well enough. Just a couple thoughts.
Thanks for your response. It looks like debris to be honest. Filter - I made a mistake and went for an internal 1000 litre. The media is two black foam. Should have really paid that little bit extra and bought an external.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PennineAcute said:
Thanks for your response. It looks like debris to be honest. Filter - I made a mistake and went for an internal 1000 litre. The media is two black foam. Should have really paid that little bit extra and bought an external.
The foam might be too coarse to catch the debris . Try to get some polyfill or a finer piece of media to hopefully catch it as it goes through your filter.

OP
P

PennineAcute

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
The foam might be too coarse to catch the debris . Try to get some polyfill or a finer piece of media to hopefully catch it as it goes through your filter.
Toying with the idea of adding an external and running both in tandem for a couple of months, whilst the external catches up with the internal. The internal can be adapted just to run powerhead. Help prevent cold spots.

Should have really done that in the first place.

Appreciate your help.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PennineAcute said:
Toying with the idea of adding an external and running both in tandem for a couple of months, whilst the external catches up with the internal. The internal can be adapted just to run powerhead. Help prevent cold spots.

Should have really done that in the first place.

Appreciate your help.
I run 2 filters on most all my tanks weather its a combo of an HOB and canister or HOB and sponge or Canister and sponge. If nothing else it helps a great deal with keeping the water looking great as well as piece of mind if one filter acts up.

New Threads