29 Gallon Tank Biting Pleco - Page 2

OP
M

MMJ

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@dolphinlover101 I have also planned to change my tank

So can I know if there are any non aggressive plecos cause I am crazy about having gold and plecos

Cause I have heard that plecos help to keep the tank glass free from algae

So suggest me

I would also like to know if Snails can do the same, at the same time if snails mean any harm to gold fishes???

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snails won't hurt your fish. Might I suggest Zebra Nerites? I think they're awesome-looking.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've had Plecos, Sailfins and Commons, in the past that would suck the body slime off of Discus fish. As for Goldfish, it could be hit or miss. They may or may not leave your Goldfish alone.

I have a Bristle Nose Pleco in my 33g long and the only aggression I've ever seen from her is at feeding time and she is protecting her food. These fish stay small around 4". Females have fewer bristles than the males. The Bristle Nose cleared my tank of Diatoms in just a couple of days. Tank mates are Angels and Cory Cats.

Nerite Snails do well for algae too. These snails may not appreciate prepared foods and may only eat algae within the tank. You can always set a bucket of water (weather permitting) outside, add some aquarium safe rocks or decor and set them in the sun a few days and you should see some algae starting to grow. Once you have a good bit of algae, you can place the rocks or ornaments in the tank for the snails and Plecos to feed from.

My Bristle Nose Pleco loves Algae wafers, Spirulina Wafers and Earthworm Sticks. I feed a slice of raw zucchinI every morning and stuff it with the wafers and sticks so she has a chance to eat before the other fish devour it all. Too, she loves the green skin on the zucchini.

Ken

OP
M

MMJ

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are snails effective in clearing algae that grows in tank glass???

can I prefer them to make my aquarium looking clear to see through???

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

The Nerite Snails will help to rid your tank of algae, however, getting to the root of the problem is always best. If you consider algae a problem that is. Some algae in the tank can be beneficial, it's a good sign of oxygen in the water and some fish and invertebrates will feed from it. Too, I think it adds to the more natural look of the environment.

Will the snails clean your glass? Yes, but I wouldn't count on them cleaning it so well that you can again see through the glass. My best suggestion is to use an glass scrubber for the glass.

I haven't found anything to date that will eat Black Beard Algae (BBA).

Ken

New Threads