Biting Pleco 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by MMJ, Nov 26, 2012.

1. MMJValued MemberMember

Hi friends,

I have a pair of pleco along with a 2 pair of gold fishes and a pair of shark .

Recently the I have seen these plecos trying to bite on gold fishes (in a manner trying to stick to them)

What can be the reason for this??

I ve also lost one gold fish ever since this started

Is the pleco turning to be hostile???

Pls suggest me solution friends.....

2. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

Plecos are never supposed to be with goldfish they eat the slime cost off the goldfish it may take time but they end up injuring the goldfish

3. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

So plecos are not safe for the gold fish to be with???

Are they the reason for dying gold fishes????

Should I return the plecos???

4. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

If you can, yes, I would return the plecos. To be honest, I always thought they were commonly kept together, but after a little reading, it turns out this has happened to a lot of other people.

What size tank are these guys in, and what kind of sharks do you have?

5. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Some Plecos may be too aggressive to keep with goldfish, or simply like the slime coat's flavor. Plecos really span quite a range in what they eat; some are herbivores, some omnivores, all the way up to carnivores. The different species of this catfish also have differing base dispositions. You really have to research the specific one.

6. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

I have a pair of Iridescent sharks they are about 5 inches long.
    My tank is a 29 gallon tank
    My golds range from 5 inches to 2 inchtypes....
    the sharks are about 5 inches long....

Am feeling terrible on see each fish die the other day :( :(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. Gordinian

Your tank sounds pretty overstocked. One goldfish needs at least a 20 gallon tank (most, though, need a 30); then for each additional goldfish, you need another 10 gallons. Also, I can't think of any shark that can fit in anything smaller than a 55 gallon. Finally, common plecos (which I'm assuming is what you have) also need at least a 55 gallon, preferably larger. Sadly, your tank would just be stocked with two goldies.

Don't be too hard on yourself for loosing a fish- most of us start out this way; it'll get better, I promise! For now, I'd recommend returning all of you fish and starting fresh with fish that are more compatible with your tank size.

8. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

@Dolphinlover101 thanks for your suggestion am planning to reutrn some of my fishes there is no other way for me or else I would have to try a much larger tank sooner..

9. Gordinian

If you could post a picture of the sharks, I'd be happy to identify them for you. If you want to keep them, I could recommend what size tank you'd need :)

10. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

@Dolphinlover101 Sure I ll post the photos in a few hours as am out at work now

I ll be back in some 11 hours

I will post the photos of the sharks and pleco I have in my tank

so that you can suggest me

11. Gordinian

Sounds good, I'll be here!

12. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

Thats so great of you....

13. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

14. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

You may wanna take a pic of the goldfish too :p Many of them can't be in a 29 gallon tank.

15. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Common plecos are not as nice and vegetarian as pet shops have you beleive. To at least lessen the amount if times that are bothering the goldfish, be sure you are feeding them enough. Feed them every night if you have to. Just be ready to be doing even more and larger water changes.

16. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

Hi... @dolphinlover101 and @Terra sorry guys am not able to take a pic now at night
    my sharks seem to be too fast for a snap

I have to get them in net to click a snap

But recently I searched and found out that my sharks are Iridescent sharks and look exactly like

shark.jpg

I ll post the pics of my gold fishes sooner

17. Gordinian

Iridescent sharks... Here's an interesting link.

You would need a HUGE tank to keep these guys- personally, I would return them.

Does the pleco look like this?

If so, you'd probably need around a 100 gallon tank, if not larger, to keep the plecos and the goldies (I'd also like to have other members give their opinions).

Remember to cite photos that aren't your own ;D

18. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

@dolphinlover101 perfect this is the exact type of pleco I have

I have planned to return them

they are proving to be very violent towards my Goldies

19. Gordinian

That sounds like a much easier plan :)

Are you only keeping the 4 goldfish then? Four would need around a 50-60 gallon, depending on what kind they are.

20. OP
    OP
    M

MMJValued MemberMember

I have also planned to change my tank

So can i know if there are any non aggressive plecos cause I am crazy about having gold and plecos

Cause i have heard that plecos help to keep the tank glass free from algae

So suggest me

I would also like to know if Snails can do the same, at the same time if snails mean any harm to gold fishes???

And if possible please post the photos of the type of pleco or snail i should prefer, cause here very few people recognize fishes with their exact name

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice