Biting his own tail?

Fisheyy

Reaction score
My male betta is biting his own tail o_o His tail is ripped a little. He lives in a 3 gallon tank. His water is crystal clean, I have a full water change once or twice a week since there is no filter. I do have a heater, and I use a water conditioner. The temp is about 78-80 degrees F. Is he bored? I put him next to another tank so he can look at the other fish to keep him out of his boredom. Should I add medication to help regrowth of his tail? What should I do?
Thankss

Oh yeaah, I've also noticed that he has been flaring at me often now =(

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awww, I'm sorry he's having problems.

Keep his water warm and clean. You can add garlic Guard, Fish Protector (or extra stress coat) and Vita-chem. These will boost his immune system and help prevent infection and promote new growth.
You can try rearranging his decorations, see if that helps.

Good luck

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some bettas will do that. Keep the water clean and maybe keep him occupied like Lucy said by rearranging his decor. (Or maybe he'll chase a ping pong ball? One of my boys flares at it and chases it around the tank. Distracts him from other things.)

Also, flaring is normal if it's not excessive. It's just their way of being strong tough guys! My boys flare every so often. If he's doing it ALL the time though, that's not good.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have one tail biter here....Everytime his tail gets a certain length he mows it down....It always grows back just fine....I don't medicate him at all....Just keep the water clean and warm and he should be fine......

Fisheyy

Reaction score
Oh okay, thank you!

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you may want to look into one of these:

it will help keep his water cycled, which will help recover the pieces of tail he has bitten. It is really hard to keep a tank stable without a filter.

Other than that, as everyone said with clean water he should be ok.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom