Bite

username

Valued Member
Reaction score
Does it hurt when an oscar bites?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never been bitten by my oscars, but I'll bet it could hurt if they could get a good enough hold on your skin. I believe their teeth are farther back in their mouths.

robby270

Reaction score
it all depends on the mood its in, one of my dad's old Oscars would constantly nip at my hand and it never hurt but i'm guessing it was playing because i wouldd not doubt if they were really **** at something the could very well give a nasty bite.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a 10" Oscar that would occasionally bite my hand if he was grumpy. He didn't have teeth persay, but he's nip you one good!

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Black Horror said:
Does it hurt when an oscar bites?
If you don't jump, it does not hurt or bleed.
It does spook you big time & if you rip your finger out of his mouth then you will bleed , much like a cat scratch. hurts like a cat scratch too.
Once again, hold your finger still and he will shake his head back and forth then release with no hurt or blood.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok...you guys tell me just WHY would you have your hands in there to begin with???
I WAS gonna get an Oscar, but rethinking now.
When my puffers eat Krill, I can hear them chew with the lid DOWN, I'm not puttin
my fingers in there! I DO feed them bloodworms from a plastic spoon, they come out of the water to get them!

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I like to play with my Oscars.
My Oscars are my pets. (I allso have a dog)
Much like one would play with a puppy.
Interaction with any pet can be fun.
I knew a guy that would play tug of war with his dog and an old towel.
Well with an Oscar you can use your finger in place of an old towel.

I actually trained my Oscar to not swim away from me. (long story)

Harry S.
P.S. I used to live in Cleveland.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
SO, not to be nosey, just curious...what kind of things do you do with your Oscar???? And can they be done with Cichild's????
So I'm gathering you can touch them and it won't kill them? The reason I ask this...
is...2 yrs ago we bought some gold fish for a little pond outside...we had them in a 5 gallon bucket until we got the pond ready...which we were out there and working on it....my grand daughter stuck her hands in the bucket and was holding the fish one at at time, I didn't see any harm in it...I didn't know!!! WELL, 7 of them died....and my husband said that was the reason why. She wasn't mean to them, didn't squeeze them, just held them in her hand under the water!!!
What is your opinion????

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
I play with my Oscar too. I'm not afraid of him. I hand feed him, and he has nipped me, but not a big deal. He's small yet, 1.5 in, but he can put my little finger in his mouth. Honestly, I've been bitten harder by cats and dogs or my ex-wife's ferrets...Now those things can draw blood like no other.

I play with mine, and he comes brushes up against my arm when I'm cleaning his mess. LOL He likes to dig, so I'm constantly replanting plants.

He only bit me the first day too. I put his food on my finger and he bit in to it. I think he realized, very quickly, that the soft stuff wasn't food. LOL He has taken his food from that finger for a week now, and hasn't replayed that bite. He just comes up more carefully. I didn't scould him or anything, just said ow!!! he seemed to notice that, for some odd reason. *Shrugs*

I am reading a book about Oscars right now. They state you can train them to go through hoops and things. I'm just working on the whole touching thing, which they state takes awhile, as that's a sign of supreme trust from them.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey,Thanks for the info....maybe I'll try and find that book, too.
On another subject someone sent me some videos on YouTube, I was AMAZED
at the HUGE Oscars...and people feeding them mice. I personally don't think they
should do that, but whatever, it's THEIR fish!!! I will stick with what they are supposed to eat. I'm just trying to collect info before bringing one home. Our tank has been cycling for 3 weeks today, not ready yet. I don't know if I'll EVER get
the nerve to put my hand in there to pet him/her. OH, can the pet store tell the difference between male & female? And if your just gonna have ONE, which would be best to get????? Is the male more aggresive??
darkwolf, thanks for your help!!!!!

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have yet to find anything really good on sexing of them, but I haven't finished the book either. I just got it yesterday.
It's an Animal Planet book. So far, it seems pretty good.

I wouldn't feed them mice, or anything close that big.

The book says insects, small fish, things of that nature, and veggies.

I'm planning on a 10 gallon tank, plus 2 5 gallons, of guppies. And I'm going to throw in some ghost shrimp into the 10 as well. The 5 s will be my breeders/fry tanks, and the 10 gallons will hold the females. Guppies are known to eat their fry.
I figure, if I can get those to grow and spawn then I should be good for treats. It's all about keeping Ody happy. Plus, I'd like to try my hand at breeding guppies, and the culls can, easily, become Ody food.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Smart, saves money, and good hobby!!!
Way to go, I may do something similar, but not to that extent.
you mentioned that book was from "Animal Planet"....could I find it at
Barnes & Noble?
Thanks for sharing!

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
124.jpg

There's the book title for you.

That might get directly there.

Honestly, I got my copy from Petco yesterday. So far, it's a good book.

I've read the parts about feeding and personality. Really just the first couple of chapters.

If you're going to own one, I think you should understand what you are getting yourself into. I enjoy my time with Ody, which is really all that matters, IMO.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
darkwolf29a said:
124.jpg

There's the book title for you.

That might get directly there.

Honestly, I got my copy from Petco yesterday. So far, it's a good book.

I've read the parts about feeding and personality. Really just the first couple of chapters.

If you're going to own one, I think you should understand what you are getting yourself into. I enjoy my time with Ody, which is really all that matters, IMO.
I totally agree. I bought the 1st 2 puffers not knowning anything about them....shame on me ONCE...I don't want to do that again...so, I will look for that book this weekend....
thanks so much for your help. You can get a book to read about a subject, but there is NOTHING like hearing first hand experience!!!! ;D

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Very true.

Just remember, that a lot of fish experience is based upon a limited number of fish.

For example, I can give you my insight for a week with Ody. But, it's only a week, for one. And even after a year, there will still be something that he might do, and I need to learn from.

That's why I like keeping fish, because they are always making me learn something new and watching for different behaviors.

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and enjoy Ody...got a pic of the boy???

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried taking pictures last night. Honestly, between my movement of the camera and his movement in tha tank, nothing came out but a blur.

I'm going to grab the tripod tonight, and try it again.

Why is it so hard to get a fish sit still? LOL

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I play with mine, and he comes brushes up against my arm when I'm cleaning his mess. LOL He likes to dig, so I'm constantly replanting plants.
My oscar would act pretty much the same; except I gave up on the plants, it was useless. I stuck to cool big rocks abd pieces of driftwood. Whic, BTW, he would move and push around until he was happy with his digs. It was a riot to watch him spending hours eyeballing rocks and then shoving them around.
Anyway, mine wouldn't bite you if you stuck your hand in the tank, unless you really startled him. the only time I'd get really bit is mine LOVED nightwalkers (a really big worm used to fish with, for those of you not from the northern US). I would buy a dozen and my oscar couldn't eat them fast enough. It took no time before he'd jump a good 8" out of the water to get one. It was unbelievably fun, but half the time he'd be all crazy and if you didn't time it right you could get nipped good.
Like Old Sloppy said, it wouldn't draw blood; oscars don't have teeth. But at the same time, this was a 10" very strong fish. It doesn't really hurt, but will startle the **** the first time he latches onto the end of your finger...lol

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
darkwolf29a said:
Why is it so hard to get a fish sit still? LOL
Oh, Oh, I know this one...how to get a fish to be still so you can take a photo of them.

1) turn on the TV set, the fish will start watching TV and will forget you are even there.

2) hand feed them small feeder goldfish, I mean to hold the goldfish about one inch over the tank, your Oscar will hold very still just long enough to snap that pix. then he will very quickly lunge at the goldfish and swallow it whole.

3) allmost the same as #2..feed them till they can't swallow any more,then they will stay very still when they chew their food.

Harry S.

hugnkiss

Reaction score
hey if the oscars are small no but when they get bigger yes it will, they can even take some skin off

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom