15 Gallon Tank Bit overstocked?

newclassic1

Hi guys,

I have a 15 gallon up and running using an eheim pickup 60 filter, an airstone (bar type) and a marina 100w adjustable heater. It has driftwood and java ferns. Also have 2 vallisneria spiralis planted into the substrate.

It was fully fishless cycled for 6 weeks before adding stock and converts 3ppm ammonia in well under 24hrs (about 14hrs on one of my final tests)

As of today i have:

6x Corydora
6x Harlequin rasbora
1x Honey Gourami
3x Guppy (2 passed away before adding final 3 corys, my water is a tad soft for guppies so won't be replacing any guppy stock)

I've asked on other forums about stocking levels and many have said it should be fine as it is and just keep up with water changes as necessary.

I can afford to make the time to do upto 50% water changes every 4 to 5 days. Plants would deal with some excess nitrates correct?. Do you think I'm well over the limit now? The tank looks nice and active but everyone is getting along fine so far :)

Parameters today after a water change:
pH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Temp: 79°F
GH: 60ppm
KH: 80ppm

Thanks in advance ;)

20200925_164929.jpg20200925_192215.jpg

GlennO

I don't think it's overstocked, especially without the guppies, but you might benefit from some extra filtration.

newclassic1

GlennO said:
I don't think it's overstocked, especially without the guppies, but you might benefit from some extra filtration.
Ok cool. I'll keep an eye on my parameters from today onwards to see the impact on my nitrates ;)

I originally got guppies due to the store being out of stock on rasboras. They got them back in today so decided to go for 6.

GlennO

It's not really related to nitrates. Filter capacity is not just about biological filtration, but having adequate mechanical filtration for water clarity and not having to rinse out the media too frequently. I would have gone with a slightly larger filter, but see how it goes. Tank looks great btw.

I do like the Eheim Pick-Ups. I have 2 Pick-Up 200's in a 40 gal. Somewhat overkill, but they do a good job.

newclassic1

GlennO said:
It's not really related to nitrates. Filter capacity is not just about biological filtration, but having adequate mechanical filtration for water clarity and not having to rinse out the media too frequently. I would have gone with a slightly larger filter, but see how it goes. Tank looks great btw.

I do like the Eheim Pick-Ups. I have 2 Pick-Up 200's in a 40 gal. Somewhat overkill, but they do a good job.
Darn! If I had known that when buying the pickup 60 I'd have gone bigger. They are kind of chunky though. It occupies a good bit of space in the corner of my tank.

GlennO

newclassic1 said:
Darn! If I had known that when buying the pickup 60 I'd have gone bigger. They are kind of chunky though. It occupies a good bit of space in the corner of my tank.
Agreed, they are chunky. Probably their main drawback.

newclassic1

GlennO said:
Agreed, they are chunky. Probably their main drawback.
But a workhorse none the less. Glad I chose it! :)

Mar1111

Looks good to me, and I'm a notorious overstocker. In my 40 gallon I put a large sponge filter on the other side from the AC70 HOB.

Elkwatcher

You could hang an Aquaclear Mini off the back as well. You picked a great selection to stock with! What type of Cory's? It's a great looking tank! :)

Darwinthebloodparrot

I would recommend a marine land biowheel it keeps my water crystal clear

Derek88242

I think you have some wiggle room stock wise. I wouldn't add a new school of fish but I would add 1-2 more honey gourami and maybe some more rasboras.

newclassic1

Derek88242 said:
I think you have some wiggle room stock wise. I wouldn't add a new school of fish but I would add 1-2 more honey gourami and maybe some more rasboras.
One problem i am facing is I chose poorly on the gourami side of things. I have 1 male honey gourami and another male thick lipped gourami in there. I was advised to take the thick lipped back to store but they don't take them back so I'm stuck with the two. They are fine for now though, keeping distance and seem to get along ok.

I've lost 3 rasboras of the 6 unfortunately. Parameters are perfect. 0, 0, 20 and pH is 7.2

Keeping up with water 50% changes every 5 days or so. so it's a mystery to me what is happening.

Would you think if i got 2 more gourami BUT female it might keep any issues with the two males from happening in future?

Top Bottom