Birth Defect In Guppy? Help 

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! So about a week ago, my pregnant guppy gave birth to her fry. One ended up dying most likely because of a birth defect, but they were so tiny it was hard to tell. There's about 18 of them, and just today I realized that one is bent in a sort of V shape. Not exactly like that of course, but angled upward from his/her tail. Could this be a birth defect? The guppy seems to be maneuvering around normally, and doesn't seem affected by it. I'm assuming if he wasn't eating, he wouldn't be growing this fast and he looks quite healthy. Just like all the others, just bent upwards at his tail. Should I do anything for him? I appreciate any help! Also, I'm sorry I couldn't provide any pictures, he's quite speedy. - Caroline

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Commonly referred to as "bent spine." If they survive for a few days they can often live long lives. You want to avoid breeding them if you can, but they don't often breed anyway. No special treatment necessary.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GuppyDazzle said:
Commonly referred to as "bent spine." If they survive for a few days they can often live long lives. You want to avoid breeding them if you can, but they don't often breed anyway. No special treatment necessary.
Ah, interesting. I'll do more research on that. I've heard that their spines can develop in a strange way if they don't have enough light, but I believe I'm giving as much light as possible without overdoing it. I hope this isn't the reason for this. I'm assuming if it was though, that others would have bent spines as well. I greatly appreciate your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom