birds with other pets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by MJDuti, Jul 22, 2015.

1. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Curious how your bird friends act around other pets that you own. Luckily our bird is very friendly and likes to play with our rabbit. The rabbit isn't the biggest fan, especially with his ears and since the bird plays with his beak (no biting), but he tolerates it. I'm curious with reptiles, cats, dogs, etc. As I can also see things not working out so well for some.

My biggest fear is when we have a child and the bird either changes, via jealousy, or the kid's allergic, etc

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have a cockatoo, a cat, and two dogs (in addition to the fish!). I've had my bird (Sydney) for 9 years, my dogs for 6 years, and my cat for 2 years. Sydney rules the roost! He's never around the other animals unsupervised, but he has both of the dogs (large ones) under his control haha. They do not bother him at all, and make way for him when he comes by. The cat also leaves him alone, and they're both happy to cuddle with me at the same time. Again, Syd isn't around any of the other animals when someone's not around (he has his own room), and I raised both the dogs and the cat from babies with Syd, so they've known from early on that he's off limits.

I think it depends on the type and personality of the bird as to how they handle change. As a cockatoo, Syd has vastly different physical and emotional needs than a lovebird (not to say they're not needy and emotionally attached too!).

Syd lived with me at home, when I was in college, and now that I'm in grad school (each place ~800 miles away from the others). He handles moving very well. He also easily accepted the dogs and the cat when we got them. I never decreased the amount of time I spent with him, so he doesn't usually get too jealous of them. However, I would think a child would be a different story. Kids require so much time and energy, I don't think you'd be able to devote as much time to your bird. They'll notice the difference too. There's not really a way to prepare them either. Some people recommend decreasing the time you spend with your bird over the course of a few months before baby arrives to prepare them. Personally I don't think you'll be able to prepare them. There are going to be changes, and you'll have to do the best you can to take care of both your family's needs and your bird's.

3. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I have a small dog that whenever my conure see her he likes going up to her and trying to bite her my dog just runs away. Also my birds like standing on fish tank while all my fish are under them trying to eat them lol.

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

My aunt has a french bulldog with her Scarlet macaw, African grey, cockatoo and cockatiel I'm not sure how much the dog likes the squawking and I don't think they are ever out together because of the sheer size of some of the birds but they live in the same house well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice