Bird feathers keep landing in my tank. Safe?

saqib

Hi Everyone.
Just something that i've been noticing quite a lot these days and couldnt really find the relevant discussion on the forum.

So my brother built a fairly large sized aviary in our backyard a couple of years back. He's got a mix of some zebra finches and cocktails in it, they're quite fun to watch and might i say the friendliest bunch of parrots i've ever seen (all of the cocktails are hand tamed from when they were probably 2 weeks of age).
Since summers are at thier peak, they've started molting a lot these days and despite them being outside, a lot of fine feathers do somehow manage to enter through the windows. To my surprise i've even found a few that have landed on top of my tank which do not have lids on them.

I'm 100% sure that the fish do go nibbling at them thinking its a treat and some might have even swallowed it and gone unnoticed. I'm getting quite concerned if its going to harm them in any way...what do you guys think? would it be safe if they do end up eating one here and there.

I cant really put the lids back on since the outside temperatures go as high as 40-45C (>104 F) these days :(
I'm cooling the tanks down through a mix of water changes and cooling fans and succesfully maintaining 28-29C

BigManAquatics

I don't know how much different it would be from finding cat hairs floating on the water. Haven't seen ill effects from that.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

I’d just cover your tank/close the window when you have it open if your worried.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I suppose it depends on how sharp and strong the quills are on those small feathers. If they get eaten they could end up poking out through the fish's stomach, I see it happen occasionally when one of my guppies eats some plant material that's more "needle" shaped and hard. If worst case like that happens, they can survive it. I have done "surgery" to remove the plant once it starts poking out, keep the fish in clean water with a clean diet and they will be fine as long as it doesn't get infected.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • JimSinclair
  • Cat
Replies
Views
SixThreeOh
Replies
Views
Nikn
Replies