Bird Care <3

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I've been thinking of getting a bird. Most likely a Budgie and want to know how to properly care for one as the last time I had one was when I was a child.

How big of a cage do they need, do they need to be in pairs, kind of food to feed for a good diet, etc. Also how to get them used to people and how to handle them until they get used to me and how to train them to respond to you.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do as well, though mine is much bigger than a budgie haha.

If you're going to be spending lots of time with it, then a single is fine. Otherwise, I'd get two. Make sure you spend time with both though, or they'll be afraid of you and would rather spend time with each other than with you.

I would get some that are hand raised - that'll make it easier for you to get them to like you. Handle them a lot - hold them, snuggle with them, gently pet them if they'll let you. Take them around the house with you while you do chores. Give them treats, but I would do it while you're holding them so they look forward to being held.

Get them on a good pellet diet. Veggies and fruits are good (more veggies than fruits), and seed should make up only a minor portion of their diet.

Cage size depends on how many you get and if you're going to leave them flighted (this can cause a whole host of issues when you're taking them out of their cage - I'd recommend trimming their primary feathers). As a general rule, the bigger the better. For these guys, you want thin bars with small spacing between.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do have a bird and he's a bit bigger than a parakeet, but I did have parakeets years ago. I agree with all that TexasDomer said. Parakeets are big birds in a tiny bird body; major confidence through the roof! If you want one that has the potential to talk, I do recommend getting a male parakeet; it's not guaranteed, but they do have a higher chance at talking.

If I think of anything else, I'll chime in later. My brain is pretty toast since I don't have working AC in my house right now.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Or if you really want something that talks and stays small, look into parrotlets. Even smaller than budgies, but loads of personality and they can talk. They're a parrot personality in a finch's body size. Quite cute too!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can google "budgie care" and get a ton of hits, but a few tips from others is always a plus. I suggest you have the wings clipped, at least for the first few months, so the bird has to rely on you to pick it up off the ground, forming a sort of trust. Plus this makes it easier for you to handle the bird and there will be zero chance of it flying out the door/window. We choose to let our cockatiel fly about, mainly because we also have cats and dogs, which don't bother the bird too much.

As for foods, it is surprisingly easy to end up with an overweight bird. Be careful what you feed and only have occasional healthy treats. My bird gets cooked rice, pasta, popcorn, cooked egg, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli and things like that. Not very often of course but every now and then.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd also check out The Parrot Wizard's Guide To Well-Behaved Parrots. It's a really good read if you're thinking about getting any kind of bird, and it helps a lot with training! You can find it on amazon, along with most of Michael's other products.
Tons of research is needed when you get a bird, I been reading and researching them for three years and I still don't even have a bird yet. Another thing, if you can adopt, don't buy from a pet store or breeder. There are so many rescues out there that are full birds that deserve good homes!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Woah you remembered @Fanatic !!!

Yrs I do have a bird. A singular budgie girl called Sky.

First things first, before you decide on cage size and all that jazz, how much free time and care are you willing to give your bird?

I discovered this site long after I got my bird but it is reccomended by lots of bird-keeping friends I know (inc myself) so please check it out @JamieXPXP it might help us to decide which bird is best suited for your care!

https://myrightbird.com

If you could get back to us with the results that would be great..

I can provide details about my budgies diet, cage and lifestyle if you want but it's best to know if you can care for a bird first until then here is a picture of my girl posing for the camera in her doorway.

Attachments

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry been a bit busy today. I am willing spend as much free time and care as I need to. I got the Blue Fronted Amazon Parrott from that quiz

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, another thing that I forgot to mention about rescues is that they will find a bird that will be good for you based on the bird's personality, not on the species stereotypes. You could walk into a rescue being a big fan of cockatoos, but then end up falling in love with an Alexandrine Parakeet. That's one of the things I love about rescues, they give you a chance to interact with adult birds who already have their core personality, instead of baby birds who will be little angels until they reach their terrible twos stage, start to hit puberty, and then show off how irritable they can be! Then after that, they'll achieve their core personality and stay that way the rest of their life.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to take a look at bird sites but figured I'd come here first as I feel more comfortable with you all lol

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There aren't any rescues here sadly so I will end up getting one from the petstore

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JamieXPXP said:
How big of a cage do they need, do they need to be in pairs, kind of food to feed for a good diet, etc. Also how to get them used to people and how to handle them until they get used to me and how to train them to respond to you.
(This is in my experience for budgerigars)
For the cage size, get as large of a cage as possible, but should be at least be 2 feet by 2 feet by 1.5 feet. They will eat most brands bird seeds mixes made for parakeets, but in my experience some brands just made by birds fat, so its best to stay to brands such as kaytee or all living things (both are pretty good ime). Its best that they are kept in pairs to allow them to socialize with each other, but if you do, don't expect to much luck training them. I have two of budgies, and it took around a week to train them to eat from my hands, and thats the most I have ever trained them. You may have more luck training with only getting one budgie though.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't worry, I've been pretty busy lately so sorry if I'm slow to reply!

If you are willing to spend as much time as you need to and as much space as you need to then I don't see why you can't get a budgie so long as you know you can care for them properly.

You can choose between getting one or two. One budgie will need much more training and attention but two budgies will need more space and resources. I did initially have two but unfortunately one had medical complications from birth and didn't make it, but my two didn't get on very well either.. so it's probably for the best!

Cage wise Sky has a 35 by 43 by 72 cm cage which I would say is about the right size for a single budgie if you want only one and can interact with them often. Male birds are reccomended as singles over females but either are fine really.

Diet wise they need fresh water and seed every day (a complete diet seed like Trill is best) with fruit and veg daily for vitamins. No avocado.

You should aim to interact with your budgie foe at least and hour a day and to have their cage filled with interesting toys and perches (with some flying space). No nesting boxes, mirrors or fluff (rope is ok though)

Those are the very basics of budgie care. I find the YouTube channel Flock Talk has some great tips on keeping birds of all kinds

Any other questions feel free to ask! I don't have all the answers but I can do my best!!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishFish221 said:
but in my experience some brands just made by birds fat, so its best to stay to brands such as kaytee
I dont know about their food but I've heard bad things about Kaytee in terms of toys and treats as most are unsuitable for birds. Just a heads up

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, Kaytee is pretty bad. For food I'd do fresh fruit and veg, and for pellets I'd go with Zupreem, or another good brand. Then for treats, seeds, or if you end up going with something bigger than a budgie, almonds and nuts!

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another important choice is pellets vs seeds. I suggest you do your own research on both as they have pros and cons for each but obviously some brands are better than others and you need to find reputable sources! I personally have had no issues with seeds

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mary765 said:
I dont know about their food but I've heard bad things about Kaytee in terms of toys and treats as most are unsuitable for birds. Just a heads up
I only really used to use their parakeet diet, until switching to all living things because that was $3 cheaper. My budgerigars also refuse to eat pellets (hence why I have a 95% full bag of pellets), and wouldn't eat any of it even if I mixed it in with their normal seed food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom