Bird Attack ! Damaged tail on Black Moor

sto0ka

I take lid of aquarium from time to time so plants can get some natural light, and I did that yesterday morning and left house for a few hours.
While I was gone, bird managed to come in trough chimney ( Common Blackbird)
Other than bird poop all around the room, since tank lid was off she managed to snatch 4 minnows and damage tail of my Black Moor on one side. It doesn't look that bad this morning like yesterday. It was swollen and white, but now colour returned a bit and it's not swollen any more.

I transfered all remaining fish to a bucket with some Interpet Aqualibrium fist aid salt additive and double dose of Zyme and Stress.

Did a full water change since bird was swimming in there and 2 feathers were floating on top, except water in filters, they remained full.
Went to shop, got Prime, Melafix and by shop assistant recommendation Interpet AntI fungus & finrot - apparently it's very good for open wounds healing and infection prevention.

Treated new tank water with dose of Prime, let it work for 10 minutes, turned fiters back on, added 5 gallon of salt per litre ( recommended is 9g per litre when treating disease), let that dissolve for 20 min, added dose of Melafix and dose of that AntI fungal & fin rot thing.

Acclimated fish for about 20min and put them back in tank.

This morning tail looks much better than yesterday, he is swimming around but he starts to swim erratically from time to time (not sure if it's because of pain or some kind of fish ptsd)
Remaining WCMM are fine, swimming around and begging for food as usual. (Also, should I get new ones straight away to have a proper school of 8 since it's 4 only left now or wait a bit ?)

Should I add Melafix every day for 7 days now ? Or should I get something else for this kind of injury ?

Tank was fully cycled, 1 filter running for about a year and second for about 2 months, since I did 100% water change will that affect my BB and cycle.
That was probably bad idea, but I didn't want any germs or whatever was on that bird in my tank.

TWiG87

Sounds like you are on top of things and I’m glad to hear your goldfish is doing better.
I would hold off on adding more WCMM until your other fish is fully healed and your tank is back to normal.
As for the water changes, the BB lives on the surfaces in your tank and in your filter. Not in the water column. Large water changes shouldn’t really affect that.
I’m not too familiar with some of those meds, but I tend to try and use as little foreign medication as possible. Whatever you do end up using, just make sure to follow the instructions on the bottle

sto0ka

Anyway after 3 days of medicating, tail is visibly getting better and Moor doesn't look stressed anymore. No more weird erratic swimming.

Looks like I have tiny bacterial bloom now after that big water change, probably 30% water change would fix that, but won't do it since it says on Melafix to dose it for 7 days without water changes

CichlidJynx

Truthfully I would add salt at 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons

sto0ka

Huh, so 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons is like, 2.5 grams per litre. Well that means that maybe I did to much salt sice I added 5grams per litre.
Here is label of salt used:

15809498029817654463839988825053.jpg

Think I'll do 30% water change in the morning, thanks for pointing this out.

CichlidJynx

So if you follow the box it will actually under dose to make sure it doesn’t kill your fish. That company wouldn’t last pretty long if word got out they killed fish. I’ve cured ich and bacterial infections with salt and it causes the fishes slime coat to reproduce faster protecting the fish

sto0ka

Will that affect my plants and moss ?

I could possibly transfer Moor to small backup tank, add salt and medicine.

But on the other hand that would just be additional stress for him.

CichlidJynx

If you have plants I would not add salt! I would transfer him to a QT tank for we can treat him and not add other stress on other tank mates

TWiG87

If he seems like he is improving I would just keep doing what you were. Like you said, at this point if he is doing better the added stress may not even be worth it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
Mark Bolanos
Replies
Views