Biozyme!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Indian_villager, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Indian_villager

Indian_villagerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey there. Im back and I have my tank up and running currently with:
    2 Zebra Danios
    2 Angelfish (The bodies are a bit bigger than a quarter.)

I used a 5+ yr old tub of biozyme that a friend gave me to cycle the tank. I cycled it with the aid of 2 Zebra danio.

The process I used is as follows:
    Day 1: I supplied the recommended dose of Biozyme to the intake of my Eheim 2213.

Day 2: Added one zebra danio (I bought three from Petsmart but one died on the 8min drive home and the other died while floating the bag :mad Dosed the intake of my Eheim again.

Day 3: Added one more zebra danio to my tank (Again I bought three, one died on the drive home and another floating the bag I swear to never buy a fish from Petsmart again.) Dosed the intake again.

Day 4: Dosed the intake and tested the ammonia levels they came out at 0ppm. Probably had nitrites by now (I didn't have a master test kit)

Day 5: Dosed the intake again.

Day 6: Got an API master test kit! I've got me nitrates!

Day 7: Got 2 Angel fish the ammonia spiked a wee bit but I added more biozyme to boost the system.

I think this stuff works pretty well! and click the link provided to check out the price on this nifty bit of kit!

One more thing.
    I have noticed something weird with my silver striped angelfish.
    It has its fins clamped down Should I be worried? The black angelfish of mine has its fins at full-mast. They can be active and do come out for feedings but sometimes they just hide behind plants on the bottom. Sometimes they just try and ram into their reflections in the glass of the aquarium. I've had them since Monday. My pH is like 8.1 BTW

EDIT: Apparently I had a curse word in my text. I apologize :;fim

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. HN1

HN1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    You cycled with fish and snake oil.

3. OP
    OP
    Indian_villager

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    ? I got this tub from a friend of mine who used to breed fish and exclusively used this stuff. I feel it worked.

4. HN1

HN1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    As long as you feel that way, cool. I see no proof that the product actually did anything nor do I believe that a 5 year old tub of bunk helped. JMO.

5. MizRamzi

MizRamziWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Biozyme not good. Cycling a tank takes at least 6 weeks, without using fish of course. Proper ph for Angles is 6.5 to 7.0, Your one Angles is showing signs of stress, hence the clamped fins. Your tank is still in it's cycling stage. Your going to get spikes of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates even with using a booster. Only time and water changes will keep them to a minimum. Angles can be very sensitive to any changes in their water chemistry. Did you get your Angles from your LFS? If so you may want to ask them about the tank they were being kept in.
    Good luck with your little ones. Keep us posted on their progress and your tanks too.

6. OP
    OP
    Indian_villager

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    I did get them from an LFS. And thank you for your help. Is there any way I can naturally or cheaply lower the PH?I'm thinking a wee bit of vinegar any and all help is appreciated.

Edit: Miz I was looking through the articles and I found this.
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/PHArticle.htm

It states the author maintained angels ins pH higher than mine. So I am curious as weather or not to do anything. And only one of my angels is clamping its fins, the other is perfectly fine.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  7. Brimstonepdx

BrimstonepdxValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Angels are sensitive fish in general and you have put them in a uncycled tank. I would advise that you return them to your LFS until your tank is cycled.

8. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You might find this helpful:
    Changing your pH

9. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  10. OP
    OP
    Indian_villager

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks for the articles guys. I think my Zebra Angel is good and settled in now because the fins are no longer clamped and it is swimming around happily. I will get some readings on the tank for you later today.

UPDATE: So I took some readings. Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0ppm
    Nitrate is at 10ppm.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009