Biozyme, Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aquagirl1978, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Aquagirl1978

Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 years
    I was reading the back of the product package and it said for established tanks to use once a week for bacteria maintenance. For a new tank use for seven days to start a healthy cycle. My tank is established so I will use for maintenance, and since its a 55 gallon tank will this keep things in check to reduce the water percentage for water changes or should i still stick to 20% water change once a week? I have heard conflicting stories about this product and would like to know of anyones opinion who may have used it or is familiar with it.

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +175
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    biozyme is a false sense of "less water changes as ive added biozyme" ...nothing makes up for water changes and IMO, its a useless product that gives false securities..I think you should stick to whats been working for you ...ESPECIALLY with the 2 new babies you got!! they are HUGE waste producers and as they grow, water changes are of the utmost importance...and the bigger they get, id up the water changes to more than 20%

3. OP
    OP
    Aquagirl1978

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 years
    I kind of figured, it was only 3 dollars so at least its not a huge loss. I was just hoping that if anything drastic happened that it would prevent a deadly spike in my water parameters until I could get the water change done. (Drastic meaning......One of my kids takes the liberty of feeding the fish while im at work and fails to tell me.....Resulting in a double feeding.) Just wasnt sure but thanks for the info ill just keep up shop as usual.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +175
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    nothing helps with the need of water changes...and its not necessary to add chemicals to a tank that dont do much but add the chemicals....keep these new babies in pristine water without adding biozyme as you dont need them exposed to that...

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    Is this the stuff that comes in a little yellow container? Kind of granular powder?
    If so, I've used it, and it caused problems with my tank.
    I'm with Shawnie that I always question products that claim to reduce the need for water changes. There's so much that water changes keep in balance (like mineral levels, dissolved organic compounds, fish pheromones, etc...) that, even if there is a product that reduces nitrates, the water changes would still be really good for the fish.

6. OP
    OP
    Aquagirl1978

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 years
    Yup thats it, and it smells AWFUL!!!!!!!!

7. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    That was one of two such products that I've used, and I suspect it crashed my cycle. Definitely a good thing you asked here.

8. npandav011

npandav011Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've heard it is terrible!