BioWheel and Cannister

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone -

On both of my tanks, I have HOB filters that came in kits with the tanks.

My question is:

What is it about Biowheel filters and cannister filters that make them so much more expensive and better to use?

Are HOB filters considered a bad choice? They seem to be doing their jobs just fine on the tanks that i have.
    Also, Does tank size difference make a difference in the type of filter you use (I know that with larger size tanks, you should have more than one filter)???

Thanks All!

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

There is nothing wrong with HOB filters. I personally dislike them, but that is just me. The reason I don't like them is because they usually require filter media you have to buy and replace, they tend to lose their prime when the power fluctuates, and they can be a pain to clean sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I have come home and one of the HOB's is howling because there was a power surge and the filter ran dry. Since I was gone when this happened, I have no idea how long the filter hasn't been running, and if all my bacteria is now dead - not a good thought if you plan on taking any trips for a few days! I like my sponge filters because you just squeeze and rinse them in old tank water to clean them, they last for years, and if the power goes off, your bacteria is in the water and has a better chance of survival. They also start right up when the power comes back on, and they are excellent for fry tanks. I like my canisters because they usually have more gph than most filters, they require less routine cleaning than the HOB's and mine (filstar XP series) have never lost their prime when there's a power outage. I find them very reliable. Also, they sit under your tank where you can hide them. All you see on your tank is the intake and the hose.

Filters are a matter of personal preference, and each tank has different filtration needs. HOB's are used by some, and that is the only type of filter they use or want to use. I just don't personally like them, and will opt for a sponge or canister first if possible.

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thanks Gunnie! (I didn't think anyone would answer me on the other post, thats why I opened a new one ;)) So it's a couple years away, but i am already thinking and planning about getting a 125 gallon tank.

Would you recommend two cannister filters for this sort of tank? It would be a freshwater community.

Thanks for ALL the advice :)

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely get a canister for anything around 100 gallons and up (even beginning from 75G and up). Well, at least I personally would buy a canister for a large tank. A canister seems less work on huge tanks. Besides, on something like 125G you'd probably need 2 powerful (and large) HOB's - which would give you twice as much cleaning.

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thanks a bundle! :D

6. jim55379 Member Member

I use the powerfilters I was reading this about the bio wheel and kind of turned me off a bit. I have unplugged mine for a day or two and they seem to keep prime as long as the water level stays close to top (1inch)http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14448

Tips from our Techs
    BIO-Wheels spin fast and steady when they first start up, but will slow and "stumble" as bacteria builds. If your BIO-Wheel stops completely, put some aquarium water in a container, swish BIO-Wheel gently, and place back in filter. During filter maintenance, float BIO-Wheels in your aquarium to keep from drying out.

I am a little confused I thought they were supposed to be the best filters.   ???

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Bio wheels are very good! There is really not a "best" filter. There is nothing wrong with HOB filters on a 100 gallon tank. You would just have to have very large ones. And the bio wheel can be attached to the out take on the canister filter, so bio wheels don't necessarily have to be used on a HOB filter.

Am I reading this right? Did you unplug your power filters on a tank with fish in it for 1 or 2 days? If so, you have probably killed all your good bacteria in that filter and will have a mini cycle. Definately don't turn off any filters unless you are having a serious problem, and then you need to have some other kind of filtration like a sponge filter or another HOB to keep the water circulating.

8. jim55379 Member Member

Actually Gunnie I only tried this in my 2 empty tanks that I have right now. I have an emergency quarantine (10gal) and a 20. I noticed I tried that last night after I told you that it will restart and the 20-30 power filter did not start up like I said it did. The water is about 3 inches from the top maybe that's why. however my 10 gall emergency is 1/2 inch from the black piece of plastic and starts right away. Hmmm??? that's why I also have those suction cup aerators on the glass for emergency in case the electric goes out and they lose the prime. I put some fish food in them to try to cycle the tank. I will proabably turn on the filtes tonight and try to get fish close to the weekend. The water is starting to get cloudy and a little smelly. I always wondered why it got so cloudy when I added fish. I read that forum about cycling and have a litttle bettter understanding of it now.