Biotope Ideas

1. stearnsjg Initiate Member

I recently spent a lot of time trying to decide what to do for my next tank. I'm pretty dead set on a biotope aquarium, not a continent wide one, but a specific body of water. I used mongabay's website and came up with this for a Rio-Negro biotope;
    -Altum Angelfish (8)
    -Snowball Pleco (1)
    -Checkerboard Dwarf Cichlid (5)
    -Red-Base Tetra (15)
    So here are my questions;
    1)will these be compatible
    2)minimum tank size (I know it will be large)
    3)other fish suggestions

2. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

That is very exciting and ambitious. I thought that in a biotop aquarium fish eats other fish, because this is how it is in natural environment.

Your profile says that you don't know about nitrogen cycle. Is that still true?

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No Rio Negro biotope would be complete without a shoal of corys.
    Adolfoi or Duplicareus would look stunning in a large group.
    You're looking at a 100 gallon at least 6x2x2 if you want 8 Angels, I'd lower that number to 6 as if they pair up they'll need space to lessen any aggression if they decide to breed.

4. stearnsjg Initiate Member

I know about the nitrogen cycle now. Actually, I new bout it before. I was just a little confused. And if im going to spend all this money on a tank, I certainly don't want the fish eating eachother. lol. And thanks, im thinking duplicareus cories would be cool. So like a school of ten? or more? And I could deal with 6 angels. Thanks!

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10 would be a good number to start with.If I had space for a tank that size, I'd do something similar to what you're planning though with more corys & less other fish ;)

Tags: