Biotope for one of my dream fish

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by tomkeay147, Jul 22, 2015.

1. tomkeay147

tomkeay147New MemberMember

So I went to my lfs the other day and BANG!!!!!
    Geophagus Winemilleri couldn't help myself I've read about these fish seen photos of these fish and finally I have a pair. Currently the female is 4 inch and the male 5 inch I'm wanting to have a bit of a biotope for them in my 5x2x2 with my 18 inch sailfin pleco (gibbiceps).
    Any ideas I was thinking corydora sterbai and lemon tetra with possibly a pair of festive cichlids I've also got some beech branches and already have sand in the tank.
    Any ideas on this?
    And what plants for the tank? Would need to be able to grow on wood as my pleco and geophagus will uproot them but would need to be from Peru, Amazon, Venezuela area.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The professor they're named after is in the wildlife department at Texas A&M :) He has a few in his tank. How cool would that be, to own fish named after you?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

You might not need them to grow on wood if you look up floating plants.
    maybe a floating hyacinth or frogbit?

personally id drop the coryadora, since youve already got a plec and eartheaters.
    you need to make sure there was loads of leftover food down there!

ive never heard. Of anyone with a prob with lemon tetra. Sounds good

4. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The tetra, cory, pleco, and festive should be fine with them. Any peaceful fish should work.

Swords, Vals, Sags, and Bacopa for plants.

Should be a cool tank!

5. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

I was thinking anubias and Java fern for plants and the floating plants would need to be fairly large as I wouldn't want the weir combs to the overflow for the sump to end up clogged up with plants :) as for feeding the geos don't mind the tetra prima and catfish pellets and soon clock on to feeding time :)

6. Plecomaker

I didnt suggest java, because you asked for south american and its asian. ;)

7. BDpups

Anubias is from Africa...

8. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Thanks I wasn't sure I've not looked into plants from South America to be honest only found a list of nearly 3000 fish

9. Plecomaker

The amazon river alone has loads, lol.
    thepnes we mentioned are all featured there, though some vals and swords are man made hybrids, not sure if you care about that.

10. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

I want to be as correct as possible so hybrid plants are out of the question same with the fish I don't want colour morphs or line bred varieties

Are Amazon sword from the Amazon then a guy in my lfs says they arnt witch made me question the name "Amazon" sword

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  11. BDpups

There are TONS of different swords from the Amazon. Hence the name. Its a generic name for a huge variety of plants.

12. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Will look into that :)
    Thanks

13. Plecomaker

It will need tobe either quite large or very well rooted to protect from a combo of eartheaters and pleco though.

14. BDpups

Good point. Earth eaters, plecos and plants do not usually go well together.

15. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Currently the tank is 5x2x2 will be upgraded to a 9x2x3 after I move house but I've had no problems yet in the 5ft

16. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Got the wood in :)

imageimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  17. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

Looks great so far! I look forward to see it with fish in and all.

18. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Video update

19. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Looks great! Love how there's so much swimming space.

20. OP
    OP
    tomkeay147

Yeah I've added 10 emperor tetra but even now there is still loads of room but I didn't want to have loads of fish I'm happy with it so far still wanting to add a few rocks maybe some more wood and floating plants will keep posting updates as I go :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice