Biology Class! *warning, Dissection Pictures!

1. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I love this class. We just did dissections of a worm, a crawfish, a fish, and a frog yesterday. The frog had no instructions so I had to research the organs and figure out what cut was best to make to see the organs.

Today I'm reviewing my study guide.

Anyone else enjoy this class? (Or did enjoy it.)
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

What species of fish did you dissect? We never got to dissect fish in my class :(

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Biology is fun :) (I'm a bio major). Although I like the hands on stuff waaaayyyy more than the textbook stuff (although I'm really into ecology, genetics, and occasionally anatomy)

It sucks tho...we've never done frogs! I've done a rat, 2 fetal pigs, worm, grasshopper (the worst...my friend had to cut off the legs because I couldn't touch it until the legs were off...I always do the dissections, so that tells you how squeamish I was!), and a bluegill (lol...me and my partner, also a fish nerd, flew through this one)

And you still have school?? Why??? You poor thing!!

4. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

We did a perch. I think my mom took pictures if you wanted to see. That thing was a pain in the butt to get a window cut into!

We do school year round and have a week off each month instead of the whole summer. That way we can do as much stuff as we want that week (easier to budget for than a whole summer) and we don't have to do the reviews and everything when we start the next grade because we don't forget anything.

Wow, that's a lot! Next year we do a cow eyeball, a cow heart, and a fetal pig. I've already done a fetal pig before, though.

5. cboatman Initiate Member

Biology is the best! It's also my major.

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

True...I remember that window cut we ended up descaling because it was a lot easier.

And you reminded me! I also did a cow eye (super fascinating...the iris is really cool), sheeps eye, and a cow heart (lol...I did a lot of dissections in high school...couldn't remember them all :p). You'll really like the fetal pig; that was my favorite. Once because we finished so fast for that day, my friend and I spend half an hour completely cutting away the extra tissue around the small intestines and large intestines and successfully removed it all in one piece and stretched it...it was like 6-7 feet. It was magnificent. We got extra credit for that lol. You should try if your allowed...it's a very fun challenge

7. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'm allowed to look at whatever I want to once the curriculum stuff is done.

You guys okay with pictures of the other dissections? I'll make sure to post a warning in the title. Know that kind of stuff makes some people hurl. Lol

8. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

I know i am! Bring back memories lol.

9. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yeah, it would be cool to see the whole dissections. Appart from opening animals up for food and a dead corydoras I have never done any real dissections, not very common in schools here.

10. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Haha, okay!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

That stinks that they aren't common there. Labs are the fun part!

12. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I never did dissection class, but I don't know if I would enjoy it.

13. cboatman Initiate Member

Back in high school, we dissected a starfish, a perch, a dog shark, and a fetal pig for my zoology class.

In college I've only had one class with dissections, my marine bio class. We dissected a mussel and a rockfish.

14. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Very cool. I liked the frog one the most. Where the schools get their animals from? And do you know what was used to preserve the animals? Lurking trough the internet it looks as if 10% formaldehyde solutions are used to preserve fish but Im a real noobie when it comes to biology so I dont know.

15. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Usually lab or farm raised animals...it's kinda sad tbh. As for preservation, it is initially a formaldehyde solution, which they then dilute with water, then they add glycerol/glycol to help with the smell. The "storing" (or actual preservation part) is usually either formalin or an embalming fluid that contains phenol, methanol, formaldehyde, etc. it stinks and burns your eyes lol...its really sour :p

16. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Not all people do. It definitely helps with remembering the material, though! Just did my science test and the organs were so much easier to label since I did that.

Dog shark sounds awesome! I'll have to ask my mom if we can get one of those to dissect.

My mom bought them on a website that sells all of the science materials - the curriculum, labs, microscope slides, all of that. KinsKicks described the preservation process way better than I could have. Ours really didn't stink, though, TBH. The crawfish smelled a little, but the rest barely smelled like anything.

17. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the explanation. Are you being homeschooled Bruxes (asking because of the unsual schedule)? I did the exams for highschool, passed them, forgot to turn some certificates in and ended up studying from home lol. I would love to be in a "normal" highschool with a lab so I could take gill and mucus scrapes from my fish under the microscope. It would also be cool to examine their poop to see if they have parasites haha.

18. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Is your mom the/a teacher?

19. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Yes, I'm homeschooled. :) My mom is the teacher.
    Microscopes come in handy! One time I had a plant from a pond with some issues and it turned out the plant had a huge vorticella colony on it. That was awesome to see. Bladder snail eggs are really cool under the microscope, too.

Got 100 on my test! Yay!

20. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

That's is so cool! And congrats! :)

Watching brine shrimp under microscopes are fun. I used to sneak into labs and use their chemicals and equipment for my fish needs lol.