biological filter

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you need a powerhead for this to work? My tank is starting to get a lot of snail and fish poop on the bottom. DO I need to get a powerhead or will the bacteria take care of it? Also what is detritus and what can I use to get rid of it???

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
I would recommend a powerhead to shift all the poop on the bottom - it could cause problems with the water quality. Ugh!

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're not running an external water pump on your saltwater tank, I think you definitely need powerheads (multiple) for water movement. You're gonna get stagnant areas of the tank that'll become cyanobacteria heaven (red slime algae).

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
That's good! Cheato will certainly help. I don't know about the PH - should be ok. What's your pH lights on? And have you measured it with lights off yet? How much other vegetation do you have? I shouldn't imagine some cheato would affect it that greatly would it?

OP
I

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have not measured it out at night but I have 8.1 with lights on. Only vegetation is a red slime algae patch in the tank. Its not big. Its about 2 inches by 1 inch.

What is the grey algae? I have never seen it before and the snails and crabs go right over it.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom