Bioload Question From New Rcs Owner

Kat11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just added 6 red cherry shrimp about 36 hours ago to my cycled, stable (so far), 10 gallon. Also in there are 2 male endlers and 1 young honey gourami, and it's moderately planted with a bunch of marimo balls. I love them so far, they're wonderfully entertaining and just so active.

I've come to understand their bioload is negligible and that they're pretty hardy for shrimp, but very sensitive to parameter fluctuations.

Anyhow, is ...sigh... is this shrimp poop? Did six tiny shrimp (more probably only one or two) make this much poop in 36 hrs on a sword leaf? Because if so, this doesn't really seem bioload-negligible.

I guess I'm just curious. Maybe I should be checking my parameters more often for a while (I already do 25-35% water change/week).

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Shrimp or snail poop, yes.

Yes, shrimp constantly eat and poop. But their waste is small and easily broken down and utilized by plants. You really have nothing to worry about; a 10 gallon could easily support 100 cherry shrimp.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, that looks like shrimp poop.
I have a colony of about 40 - 50 yellow cherries together with 8 chili rasboras, in a 5.5 gallon with AC20. You'll be fine.

You can add another 3 male endlers to your tank to cap it off.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your honey gourami will could be your downfall he will certainly eat any young and may take a liking to your shrimp

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, definitely from the shrimp . As for shrimp having a "negligible bioload", it's mostly true that they won't increase the bioload significantly, but that's not because they don't produce waste. They simply consume many small organic particles that otherwise would have rotted and break it down into waste. So in that way they're more like a catalyst that speeds up the breakdown and consolidates the remains.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom