Bioload and cycle with transferred filter

Mike44

Hello everyone.
I am setting up a new tank and using a sponge filter from another tank that had 3 smaller fish in it. I would like to get the new tank cycled as soon as possible in order to add 15 fish from my third aquarium (main tank). Nothing from the main tank will go in the new tank. Can I dose ammonia in the new one until I reach an acceptable bioload with that sponge filter? How long is the estimated time to accomplish this and what are the steps? I would rather not transfer just a few fish at a time into the new tank which could take weeks and weeks especially since I have limited space.

Appreciate any help, especially from those who have done this before.

Dunk2

Hello everyone.
I am setting up a new tank and using a sponge filter from another tank that had 3 smaller fish in it. I would like to get the new tank cycled as soon as possible in order to add 15 fish from my third aquarium (main tank). Nothing from the main tank will go in the new tank. Can I dose ammonia in the new one until I reach an acceptable bioload with that sponge filter? How long is the estimated time to accomplish this and what are the steps? I would rather not transfer just a few fish at a time into the new tank which could take weeks and weeks especially since I have limited space.

Appreciate any help, especially from those who have done this before.
Yes, but be sure to use pure ammonia (unscented and no surfactants) or Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride.

Depending on the size of the new tank, I‘d suggest dosing ammonia to 2 - 3 ppm. The sponge filter from your existing tank will give the cycle on the new tank a jump start, but I can’t tell you how long the cycling process will take.

Mike44

Yes, but be sure to use pure ammonia (unscented and no surfactants) or Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride.

Depending on the size of the new tank, I‘d suggest dosing ammonia to 2 - 3 ppm. The sponge filter from your existing tank will give the cycle on the new tank a jump start, but I can’t tell you how long the cycling process will take.
Thanks for the response. Would some Nitrifying Bacteria speed things along and if so do you have any recommendations?

Dunk2

Thanks for the response. Would some Nitrifying Bacteria speed things along and if so do you have any recommendations?
Because you’re using an already seeded sponge filter that should jump start your cycle, I’d save your money and skip the bottled bacteria.

Bottled bacteria can be hit or miss. I’ve personally used several different brands and don‘t think it made much, if any, difference.

uncfan

What size tank are you setting up? What size sponge filter is it and how long has it been in the tanks it's in now? Usually I just use a seeded filter and a few gallons of gravel vac water, es the black stuff. The muck is full of good stuff to give you almost a instant cycle.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Virgo
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
dirtmidget33
Replies
Views