5 Gallon Tank Bioload Advice - 2 Snails And 1 Betta In A 5 Gallon

Tsukkomu

Hey fishie people!

I have a 5 gallon spec with a betta and a snail. Tank is fully cycled. all parameters are great. Stable. Weekly 20-25% WC. I’ve got an itch for a new snail!

Is 2 mystery snails and 1 betta too much for a 5 gallon? I keep my tank very very clean and take great care of it. I just really want another snail! Lol. The main reason is because I deal with a lot of algae on my snail...and I heard a snail friend could help...they kinda clean each other?

I do not want to overload and stress my tank. It’s planted.

Image1545615992.249667.jpg

Sunflower

Well Known
Someone correct me if I’m wrong—

I’m pretty sure the general rule of thumb for mystery snails is one per 5 gallons, since they have a heavy bioload? You could add a nerite in there. I’m pretty sure their bioload is smaller and it will be more inclined to eat algae off of your current snail. They’re big algae eaters.

OP
Tsukkomu

Tsukkomu

Bubbles_and_Fins said:

I’m pretty sure the general rule of thumb for mystery snails is one per 5 gallons, since they have a heavy bioload? You could add a nerite in there. I’m pretty sure their bioload is smaller and it will be more inclined to eat algae off of your current snail. They’re big algae eaters.
Thanks for your response. Yeah I’m glad I asked. I’m not going to do it. Plan on getting another tank - I’ll wait to put some snails in there. This tank really is nicely balanced and really healthy. I don’t want to ruin a good thing or endanger my stock.

Thanks so much! Now I’m even more inclined to splurge on another tank.

Sunflower

Well Known
Tsukkomu said:
Thanks for your response. Yeah I’m glad I asked. I’m not going to do it. Plan on getting another tank - I’ll wait to put some snails in there. This tank really is nicely balanced and really healthy. I don’t want to ruin a good thing or endanger my stock.

Thanks so much! Now I’m even more inclined to splurge on another tank.
Good plan! My pleasure, haha!

Gourami36

Well Known
Bubbles_and_Fins said:

My nerites poop more than my mystery snails. But all snails are poop machines

Sunflower

Well Known
Gourami36 said:
My nerites poop more than my mystery snails. But all snails are poop machines
Oh dang, really? I thought they didn’t. Not sure where I got that information from haha

Gourami36

Well Known
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Oh dang, really? I thought they didn’t. Not sure where I got that information from haha
My mts poop even more though. I have about 20 and I have to syphon it almost every day because it’s bare bottom

New Threads