Biofilm Or Algae?

irow

Hi,
This is my new 9G fluval flex, which will be for shrimp. I've been getting quite a bit of biofilm, to the point where I'm suspecting hair algae during the cycling process. The tank started with tropica (tissue culture) plants and a petsmart marimo moss ball, as well as java moss from my main tank (which doesn't have any algae that I can see), as well as a new piece of malaysian and cholla wood, which were both boiled. I started seeing some fuzzy stuff on the cholla, which was just the white fungus that driftwood/cholla typically grows. Then, I see some white fuzz which looks like biofilm on the plants. I added in another moss ball and flame moss from craigslist this weekend, and there looks to be a bit of an algae outbreak, with diatoms on the anubias, and hair algae(?) everywhere else. What should I do to resolve this, or will RCS/CRS eat it when I put them in? Are the diatoms/algae harmful to plants?
Thanks.

Parameters:
ammonia 0.5-1 ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm
pH 6.0
fluval shrimp stratum (could the excess nutrients from this be suspect? I have 2 anubiases, and a hygrophila siamensis in the substrate, as well as quite a bit of flame moss and a large moss ball.
Light is on about 12-13 hours a day, at max brightness with white and red. I've turned it down to almost the lowest just now, but I'm out of the house for about 12 hours always.

Thanks.

MrBryan723

Whatever this is. This is the cause for the outbreak. I have it only in 1 tank and the tank I have it in is having an outbreak. My personal thoughts are rcs will eat it because I have rcs in another tank and both tanks are connected with a waterbridge yet the tank with the cherry shrimp has none and the tank with the moss you have has the algae all over. I have also been very negligent with my tanks as they are just plants and snails and microfauna at the monent(aside from the rcs in the other equally neglected tank.)

I got the moss on a purchase of plants of which 1 had hair algae on it. Most of those are fine and the hair algae on those is all but gone aside from this stuff.(don't mind the duckweed)

irow

Whatever this is. This is the cause for the outbreak. I have it only in 1 tank and the tank I have it in is having an outbreak. My personal thoughts are rcs will eat it because I have rcs in another tank and both tanks are connected with a waterbridge yet the tank with the cherry shrimp has none and the tank with the moss you have has the algae all over. I have also been very negligent with my tanks as they are just plants and snails and microfauna at the monent(aside from the rcs in the other equally neglected tank.)

I got the moss on a purchase of plants of which 1 had hair algae on it. Most of those are fine and the hair algae on those is all but gone aside from this stuff.(don't mind the duckweed)
It's java moss from my tank which is algae free. Is the algae just growing on it more heavily? And why wouldn't it grow on the flame moss?

irow

So I just did a water change and rubbed off the algae/diatoms off the leaves of the plants. I've turned the lighting to the 2nd lowest setting, and increased flow. We'll see if this helps. If not, would any snails suitable for low pH (6.0) help?

On the bright side, ammonia's already gone from 2ppm 2 weeks ago to 0.5 ppm today, nitrites are darkish blue, but still closer to 0ppm (tested before water change).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GingerDK
  • fishkeepernewbie
  • Algae
Replies
Views
bettasXD
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Biofilm and Algae
  • Matt11711