Biofilm Means Cycled Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nimpa, Apr 11, 2019.

1. NimpaValued MemberMember

Heya! This one is kind of a stupid question but I'll ask it anyways as I cant find the source I was searching for.

So I have biofilm in my betta tank. Its about 3 weeks old but I took a cycled filter media and put it in there for a while (I'm guessing that's why my fish got Ick but its cured now) and the new filter media (cause I found out the old one has carbon) has sticky slime on it. Not only that my driftwood that I boil for about 30 minutes is filled with biofilm mostly on the end where the wood is cut. Most of it is milky white but some new ones are more brown.

Now the question is, is that I found an article a couple years ago saying that one of the sign that a tank is cycled is the build up of biofilm and algae and I need to know if this is true or not. If its true I want to put a nerite snail in. Also should I clean the biofilm? Will that disturb the cycling process? I also cant test my waters I dont have a kit (I have consulted the forum before getting my betta without a test kit)

So yeah thats all! Thank you soo much in advance!

2. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

The cycled filter media alone cycled the tank. Provided you have just a betta and the media was in a tank that had fish you should be golden.

3. NimpaValued MemberMember

Ahhh ok thank you!
    I just wanted to make sure because the fter media I used wasnt from a reliable source and I'm scared if it wasnt actually cycled

Can I put snails in now?

4. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

No, that doesn't mean your tank is cycled. And it doesn't not mean it. You need to test your water to know for sure.

5. NimpaValued MemberMember

Oof I'm having 2 different opinion someone help me lol

6. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

You won't know until you test your water.

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If you were not adding an ammonia source to the filter media, the bacteria died off and the tank will not be cycled

8. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I'd take the advice of @Morpheus1967 , they thought of more possibilities than I did lol. Testing is always a good idea for sure

9. JenCWell Known MemberMember

Bacterial bloom is a good sign but it doesn't mean the tank is ready yet.

Seeded media can jump start a cycle. It can also sometimes instantly cycle it for a small bioload - being able to handle the waste of one fish but not five, for example. It depends on how much beneficial bacteria there is and how much waste the tank will have after it's stocked.

Unfortunately, bacteria needs a food source so if you weren't feeding the tank with an ammonia source those three weeks then the bacteria colonies in your transferred media surely diminished.

Testing it is the only way to know for sure. I consider my tanks cycled when they can convert 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in <12 hours, but that's aggresive. You might bring the tank to 2 ppm and watch how fast it clears. (I don't know the standard target for a single betta.)

10. NimpaValued MemberMember

Wait, isn't the waste of the fish a good enough ammonia source?
    Also I did pour some of those bottled beneficial bacteria on the filter and spilled some in the tank

Also if I ever get a test kit (which is probably going to be a long time. They're expesnsive) how do I test without harming my fish :'

11. JenCWell Known MemberMember

Was there a fish in the tank those three weeks? If there was then yes, its waste was an ammonia source. The bacteria booster should have helped too. (I thought you were fishless cycling in preparation for a betta.)

It's hard to guess what's going on in the water (tank or tap) without a test kit. I realize I'm lucky in the US that I can order one for about 20 USD from Amazon and that they can be hard to get in other countries. Is aquarium water testing common in Indonesia/are any test kits or strips affordable? Fish stores will test water for free here; perhaps they do that there?

I'm hesitant to make suggestions about water changes as I'm not familiar with what's in your tap water.

Re the bacterial bloom (fuzzy growth on surfaces) you can leave it or remove it with suction or scrubbing. It's up to you; it won't negatively impact things either way. Just make sure your filter media is kept and not washed in chlorinated water as it holds most of the beneficial bacteria.

12. NimpaValued MemberMember

Yes those 3 weeks I already have my betta in my tank. I just realized I didn't say anything about already having the fish in :'P my bad
    I do water changes daily with water conditioner I had a whole thread consulting about my concern on cycling and test kit.
    Also here test kit are very expensive here and no LFS test water even payed lol. so I guess I'll just continue with daily water changes.

13. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Like others have said, algae and biofilm doesnt mean the tank is cycled. They have nothing to do with one another.