20 Gallon Tank Biofilm and Algae

Matt11711

Hi,
I've got my first tank set up, it's a 20 long with a lot of plants and it fully cycled, currently home to a clown pleco and 2 nerites. I have a bit if diatoms and some type of bigger brown colored algae growing on the top of my anacharis stems, which I'm hoping will go away in time as I add some shrimp. One thing I noticed with shrimp suggestions is that they want a mature tank with biofilm in it. Is that different from algae? The tank has other organisms such as detritus worms and pest snails that have been in since the plants were added at the start of the cycle.

sav023

Yes biolfilm is different than algae. Biofilm is an oily like substance that will accumulate on top of the water if you have low flow filters and live plants. It's perfectly harmless, just a sign of a mature tank. Some people will remove biolfilm by gently placing a paper towel on top of the water which will soak it up. It sounds like your tank is mature and ready for shrimp, I'd just throw in something extra for them occasionally to make sure that they aren't going hungry.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

There are 2 types of "biofilm" that get talked about. One is a oily "gas on water" looking substance on the water surface and the other is a clear film on everything in the tank. The shrimp and snails eat the later. If you see a film on the glass and equipment that is the biofilm the shrimp need. It usually takes a bit for this to form.

Upvote 0

sav023

There are 2 types of "biofilm" that get talked about. One is a oily "gas on water" looking substance on the water surface and the other is a clear film on everything in the tank. The shrimp and snails eat the later. If you see a film on the glass and equipment that is the biofilm the shrimp need. It usually takes a bit for this to form.
I forgot about the second type for a bit, thank you for mentioning this! Also I'd like to add that pest snails will eat the biofilm on the surface

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
irow
  • Morgan Smith
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Feohw
Replies
Views