Biocube 32 Freshwater Setup And Stocking

1. dlconcidine Initiate Member

Good day all,

I am new to this forum and just got my very first fish-tank ever as my requested anniversary gift.

This is what I have so far.
    *Biocube 32 & stand
    *Ec0-complete substrate
    *3 live plants -
    Crypocoryne (small)
    Anubias (small)
    Echinodorus 'Bleheri' (large)
    Marimo moss balls (not in tank yet)
    *Decorative shipwreak with lots of hidey holes

I have no heater for it (can get one), the water temp is staying around 75-80 degrees
    I am in North Carolina and it is pretty hot and humid right now, trying to keep the house around 73-75 for the dogs. :emoji_dog:

That set up has been there for about 1 week. I wanted to get some advice for fish, but this is what I was thinking. I just got my water test kit today, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

1 female betta
    Mollies/Platys/Rainbow fish or Rasboras

I don't want to get over ambitious and make sure everyone is happy.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.
  2. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Have you cycled the tank yet(Gone through Nitrogen Cycle?) and if so these stocks would work.
    How about(Stocking Wise)-
    10-12 Bronze or Sterbai Cories
    12 Harlequin or Lambchop Rasboras
    1 Female Betta
    1 Clown Pleco
    8 Female Bettas

Plant wise i would do-
    2 Cryptocornes(1 in each corner of the tank, The front corner and back corner)
    3 Anubias(in front of the Boat)
    5 Echinodorus Bleheri(Lining the Back of the Tank)
    Marimo Moss Balls(Scattered around the tank)
    2 Water Wisteria(On opposite side of tank than Cryptocornes)

Do you have a Filter yet(What Kind?)? What kind of heater were you thinking of getting, I recommend the Aqueon 200 Watt. What Test Kit did you get? I am sorry if i seem nosy, but i am trying to help you and your fish as much as possible.

3. dlconcidine Initiate Member

No, I did not know about the Nitrogen Cycle, I will start checking the levels.

The filter I have is the one that came with the aquarium, it is a Coralife Biocube filter pad.

I was thinking of getting a Cobalt Aquatics Neo Therm heater 100w, but I think is might be too large. The other one I was looking at was the Marineland ML90651 precision heater 150w. I will look at the Aqueon 200w (thanks)

The test kit I got was API Freshwater Master kit.

Will 8 female bettas get along? I like your suggestions for fish. I never considered the Pleco, I love that one.

As for the plants, I like those plants. I was looking at the wisteria, but wasn't sure. Thought I would start with a couple to see how they did.

You are not be nosy, lol. I appreciate the suggestions.

4. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

The 8 Female Bettas is a Betta Sorority and usually is a hit or miss, If you want to do it i would add all the Bettas at the same time so they can choose their territory. The API Master Test kit imo is one of the best Freshwater Test Kits. The filter should be fine. As for the Plants if you want you could also do some Aponogetons along the back also(I planted some bulbs last week and the plants are 8 inchs tall already) and some Christmas Moss or Dwarf Hairgrass as a carpet.

5. dlconcidine Initiate Member

Good morning,

I have had my aquarium set up with plants for about a week now.

PH - 7.0
    Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites all 0 ppm
    Water Temp - steady at 75 degrees

Is it safe to add fish now?

I was reading about isolation tanks, I assume I should have one on hand in case of a disagreement between fishes.
    What is a good size? 10 gallons enough?
  6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the dimensions?
  7. dlconcidine Initiate Member

Of what? My Biocube? 20 x 20 x 20. I haven't bought an isolation tank yet.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

OK. I would not suggest bettas, they can be aggressive. I'd do this instead:
    2 honey gouramis
    2 peacock gudgeons
    8 Corydoras habrosus
    15 celestial pearl danios
  9. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

Are you dosing Ammonia?
  10. dlconcidine Initiate Member

Sorry, thought you asked if I was losing ammonia, not dosing. I do not know anything about dosing ammonia, but will look it up.

As for the fish, I ended up buying 5 zebra danios & 3 green cory's. Added the fish on 7/29 and found one dead last night (looked to me like his tail was missing) and 1 was caught in the filter grate today. They were eating well and seemed to be very active. I am going to test again. I am sooo depressed.

No, it seems to stay steady at those values. The Ph hovers at 6.8 - 7.0, but ammonia, nitrites & nitrates stay at zero. I have tested 4 times. Maybe once I add fish it will change, but with just plants this is what I have.