BioCube 16 LED

Dwightschrute
HI everyone,

So I am a new saltwater tank keeper and just got myself a Biocube 16 LED (used) for my dorm room. I have already asked many questions in the 3 weeks of having this tank and found many people very helpful, so I thought why not have my experiences with this tank all in one place for someone in the future going through some of the same things I am.

In the tank, there is so far

Fish;
1 X ocellaris clown

Corals;
1 x Zoanthid (Radioactive Dragons eye)
2 x Mushrooms (green)
(I'm not 100% sure on the name of the mushrooms )

Rock;
9lb Drydock

Things I have done in my tank already;
Removed false floor in Chamber 1 and have sponges, media, activated carbon, and phosbond. Chamber 2, plans to make a minI refugium. Chamber 3 my heater and return pump.

My plan for the tank is to try and keep a mixed reef and slowly try to keep more difficult corals as I grow into this new hobby of mine.

Also, I got this idea from another forum when I was trying to find information on the Biocube and it was really helpful so if you're looking at getting one yourself or something similar (small all in one tank) it is worth taking a look at it.
Jackal's Biocube 16 LED - 2 Years In and Counting!

So bear with me during this process and hope that this can help you as much as it helps me

20200130_191559.jpg
20200201_195628.jpg
20200201_195621.jpg

Advertisement
Jesterrace
Looks good, although I am curious as to what that netted bowl is in the corner on the right

Advertisement
TWiG87
Great looking tank! Some really nice growth over the last 2 years

Dwightschrute
I
Looks good, although I am curious as to what that netted bowl is in the corner on the right
It is one of my mushrooms. One of them found a spot on the substrate where it can stay and grab some substrate and in the bowl is the other one. it was having a harder time finding a place as it is a bit smaller so I put it in the bowl so it can still have some flow but not as much. Been working great! it has opened up and in a few days they should be ready to put on the rock work

Jesterrace
I

It is one of my mushrooms. One of them found a spot on the substrate where it can stay and grab some substrate and in the bowl is the other one. it was having a harder time finding a place as it is a bit smaller so I put it in the bowl so it can still have some flow but not as much. Been working great! it has opened up and in a few days they should be ready to put on the rock work

Sounds good. Hope you have better luck with the mushrooms than I had with mine. It never did well in my tank. On the other hand Frogspawns and Hammers are supposed to be more difficult and I can't kill them if I tried. Each tank is different.

Dwightschrute
Sounds good. Hope you have better luck with the mushrooms than I had with mine. It never did well in my tank. On the other hand Frogspawns and Hammers are supposed to be more difficult and I can't kill them if I tried. Each tank is different.
Fingers crossed they do well. For my next coral, I was thinking one of those two. Any opinions on one being easier than the other?

Advertisement

Dwightschrute
Updates
- Zoanthids, there is some new growth showing
- Mushrooms, the have both stuck on to some gravel and I have stuck one onto a rock

I also got some testing supplies to test my water and all is looking good.

On Thursday I will be going to get a clean up crew. Any thoughts on numbers of snails, hermit crabs, possibly a cleaner shrimp?

Attachments

• 1580773849498~2[1282].jpg
    1580773849498~2[1282].jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 1580852595669[1283].jpg
    1580852595669[1283].jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 101
Dwightschrute
Great looking tank! Some really nice growth over the last 2 years
I just started mine that link was to another page that helped me out

TWiG87
Ha, ok. I was on my phone and sometimes the posts gets weird

Dwightschrute
Ha, ok. I was on my phone and sometimes the posts gets weird

Haha all good

Advertisement

Jesterrace
Fingers crossed they do well. For my next coral, I was thinking one of those two. Any opinions on one being easier than the other?

Hammers are probably just a little more fussy than Frogspawns. So if I had to pick, the Frogspawn would probably be my first choice.

Here is probably my most exotic frogspawn that I have as it's a Bicolor Frogspawn (Most tips are bright green and others are a light purple). I just got it as a little frag about 4-5 weeks ago, but here is what it looks like now:

Dwightschrute
Hammers are probably just a little more fussy than Frogspawns. So if I had to pick, the Frogspawn would probably be my first choice.

Here is probably my most exotic frogspawn that I have as it's a Bicolor Frogspawn (Most tips are bright green and others are a light purple). I just got it as a little frag about 4-5 weeks ago, but here is what it looks like now:

That's a great looking coral. They have some at my LFS so that may be my next addition to my tank.

Dwightschrute
Should I be thinking about getting a wave maker for my tank? The output of the stock pump is 185 GPH

Jesterrace
Should I be thinking about getting a wave maker for my tank? The output of the stock pump is 185 GPH

Absolutely. It simulates underwater current and keeps dead spots in your tank (which results in the lovely Cyanobacteria aka Red Slime Algae among other unwanted things).

For a tank that size I would go in the 500-1000gph range if you want a variety of coral and good flow throughout the tank.

Advertisement

Dwightschrute
Absolutely. It simulates underwater current and keeps dead spots in your tank (which results in the lovely Cyanobacteria aka Red Slime Algae among other unwanted things).

For a tank that size I would go in the 500-1000gph range if you want a variety of coral and good flow throughout the tank.
okay, I have been looking on Amazone (as in my fish store and petsmart there are not many options) and I have been thinking about getting the Jeboa OW-10. it is Affordable and the reviews are not bad Its flow is rated for 132-1057 GPH.
Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker 132-1057 GPH with Controller and Magnet Mount: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Jesterrace
okay, I have been looking on Amazone (as in my fish store and petsmart there are not many options) and I have been thinking about getting the Jeboa OW-10. it is Affordable and the reviews are not bad Its flow is rated for 132-1057 GPH.
Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker 132-1057 GPH with Controller and Magnet Mount: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Should be a good choice. The Jebao variable speeds are a good bang for buck type powerhead.

Dwightschrute
Updates
- The mushrooms have really opened up and are looking amazing
- There is still slow growth in the Zoanthids
- The power head came in I tried to get it going but when it's on my mushroom are getting a lot of flow so I will have to take some time and try to get it all flowing correctly
- I also got some snails to try to clean the tank.
Overall the tank is coming along!

1581462743558.jpg
1581462920514.jpg
1581462975484.jpg

Jesterrace
Nicely done. Looks great.

Advertisement

Dwightschrute
For the past few weeks everything has been going smoothly except I have started to get some algae Some red, green hair algae and one bubble algae. The tank started with the green hair algae but the others are new. For the grean hair and red algae I researched some fixes and am going to try vibrant
Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner (8 oz): Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

So far I can only see one bubble. For the bubble algae would a idea be to just take out the frag of zoanthids? as that is the only place I can find it as I don't want it to spread
1582821979771.jpg
1582821929806.jpg
1582821903543.jpg

Jesterrace
Are you using RODI Water? How long are you running your lights? Also how often do you change your filter floss/sock/etc.

Dwightschrute
I am using RODI water. and lights are on a schedule of 8-11 am on a morning lighting 11-4 on a day lighting and 4-8 on a blue light. And I will be going to get a new filter as I haven't switched it for a little

Dwightschrute
Are you using RODI Water? How long are you running your lights? Also how often do you change your filter floss/sock/etc.
I am using RODI water. and lights are on a schedule of 8-11 am on a morning lighting 11-4 on a day lighting and 4-8 on a blue light. And I will be going to get a new filter as I haven't switched it for a little so will be doing that.

Advertisement

Wild Bill
For the past few weeks everything has been going smoothly except I have started to get some algae Some red, green hair algae and one bubble algae. The tank started with the green hair algae but the others are new. For the grean hair and red algae I researched some fixes and am going to try vibrant
Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner (8 oz): Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

So far I can only see one bubble. For the bubble algae would a idea be to just take out the frag of zoanthids? as that is the only place I can find it as I don't want it to spreadView attachment 669258View attachment 669259View attachment 669260

What I did when I had an algae outbreak, I’d I got a media reactor and put Phosguard in it. Worked great. I only run it about once a month for a week now.

Jesterrace
I am using RODI water. and lights are on a schedule of 8-11 am on a morning lighting 11-4 on a day lighting and 4-8 on a blue light. And I will be going to get a new filter as I haven't switched it for a little so will be doing that.

The on/off isn't the best way to do it as the back and forth can mess with things in the tank. Furthermore you have more than 8 hours total which is definitely contributing to the issue. 8 hours max.

Dwightschrute
The on/off isn't the best way to do it as the back and forth can mess with things in the tank. Furthermore you have more than 8 hours total which is definitely contributing to the issue. 8 hours max.
Okay I will change the time of the light to make it shorter.

Jesterrace
Okay I will change the time of the light to make it shorter.

Run the lights for an 8 hour stretch. The on and off again probably isn't doing good things to the tank.

Advertisement

Dwightschrute
I have it on a cycle where it changes in intensity. I changed it so there will be less light.

Wild Bill
Run it like the sun. Sunrise, full daylight, sunset if you can.

Dwightschrute
Run it like the sun. Sunrise, full daylight, sunset if you can.
I have it so that there is 1 hour of sunrise 3 hours full light 2 hour sun set then night light for 2 hours. Is this to much still?

Wild Bill
Depends on the intensity of full day light. I have mine on 80% for 8 hrs, with sunrise and sunset 1 hour each.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mark2103
Replies
Views
AquaPhilNJ
Replies
Views
2714fish
Replies
Views