Bioballs vs ceramic rings vs biocells

Lilthuglet

I've been looking at extra biological filter media and I've seen quite a few options, balls, rings and honeycomb like cells seem to be the major type. Anyone got any advice on which is the best for building up good bacteria?

Fisch

Where would you plan to put the additional media. I myself look into the addition of it to my canister filter, and leaning towards Eheim Substrate plus instead of ceramic media. I am curious about the responses to your question.

Lilthuglet

Fisch said:
Where would you plan to put the additional media. I myself look into the addition of it to my canister filter, and leaning towards Eheim Substrate plus instead of ceramic media. I am curious about the responses to your question.
I'd be putting it inside the body of a hang on the back filter along with two sponges, and probably not the carbon filters that come with unless required. It has quite a large 'bucket' section where the filters and sponges live, one on each side, and quite a large empty middle section that looks ideal to pop a couple of handfuls of ceramicy thingies in.

AvalancheDave

MarinePure released a "study" which, if you read between the lines, says that even the media with the least surface area/volume is more than enough. So the main considerations should be clog resistance and longevity.

I switched back to the original bio balls that came with my filter after using K1-esque media with more (but unnecessary) surface area.

JayAlva

what type of filter?
i like seachem matrix or biohome biogravel. the biogravel being that you can fit alot of the small pellet sized sintered glass into the relatively small space of a hob. matrix is nice but ive had a container come back with more rock than the pumice style rock. i read it depends where you buy from.

Top Bottom