Bioballs In Substrate

1. abheeshs Member Member

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They're not going to do much in the substrate

Could you get another filter for them?

3. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

The bacteria that the bioballs would harbor need oxygen so it wouldn't work in the substrate

4. abheeshs Member Member

Isn't some bacteria already on the substrate? Can't they live in the bioball? I know it is not the best, would it make a bit of difference?

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Very little (virtually none) of the bacteria is in the substrate. Almost all of it is in the filter.

6. Fish-whisper Member Member

Really ? an odd statement coming from a Bottom Dweller.....being a fair minded person that I am I'll give you a chance to rethink that "Very little (virtually none)"

7. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

There is almost no aerobic bacteria in the substrate. If the substrate is deep enough, you may have anaerobic bacteria but most fish tanks don't. @BottomDweller was correct in their statement.

8. Fish-whisper Member Member

No, you are wrong also. Anywhere there is food and oxygen there is bacteria and then you have the facultative types that can switch back & forth between aerobic and anaerobic.

Please do some research. I've been in the biomed field for many years working at a very large hospital with very large research department, I had access to things most don't. I've known bacteria interaction in the aquarium from the 70's to today.

9. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Of course there is bacteria but the bacteria involved in the nitrogen fixation cycle are not free floating in the water.
    Nitrogen fixing bacteria are found in soil/substrate and plants.
    To prove my point, it's much harder to jump start a cycle in a tank by using the water from the tank rather than the filter media.

10. Fish-whisper Member Member

My fault, I didn't see where we were talking about water :banghead: thought we were talking about substrate in the aquarium....Oh I see you agree with me "Nitrogen fixing bacteria are found in soil/substrate and plants" :) BTW I would never jump start a tank with some old water, but, depending on the type of substrate I would use that.

There is more to this aquarium hobby than cycling your tank. A truly healthy tank is one with balance with everything inside the water, the whole aquarium is a filter dealing with the pollutant creators.

11. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Of course, no problem

12. abheeshs Member Member

You are right completely. We ARE talking about adding bioballs to the substrate to house bacteria.

I only run my filter couple hours in a week. I have a HOB filter. When I switch it off, i just drop the biofilter media in the tank. My 10 gallon is cycled with Stability alone. That proves the point that there is bacteria all over my tank.

13. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Not necessarily. The bacteria is on the bioballs which you have just removed from the filter and added to the tank. However, by doing this you can harm the bacteria colony because without oxygen, the colony can die in just a few short hours. Unless you are shutting off your filter for economical reasons, there is no point in doing so.

14. abheeshs Member Member

Economical reasons, yes. Also, isn't the oxygen in the water enough for the bacteria. According to your logic, there can be no bacteria in the substrate, which is not true.

15. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The thing with having bio balls in the substrate is that the ammonia and nitrite laden water is not being pushed through the bio balls. So only the water that comes in contact will have the ammonia and nitrite processed. It would be the same as having an under sized filter.

16. Stanley C. Member Member

Bio Balls are designed to work in a wet/dry filter. They have no place in any closed system filter like a canister. They need to have maximum amount of oxygen to be effective. That is why having the tank water trickle over them, while still exposed to the air, is how this media works. Having it in a canister will often cause it to become gunked up, and useless. The round ceramic media is what you use in a canister. As far as putting bio balls in your substrate, it would not be effective at all in my opinion.

17. abheeshs Member Member

Will it cause any problems?

18. Stanley C. Member Member

Other than becoming gunked up, no. But there is also no point in doing it as explained before.